XOJO Simply cannot quit

Greetings,

Well it seems, no idea if after the latest apple updates but XOJO is acting weird lately.

So I worked on my project, I save it , closed the project as I do every day and then I went Menu and Quit XOJO, for the past 30 min the app is still opened, I opened the activity monitor to see maybe it hang or something fro all is normal, but I simply cannot quit XOJO.

No menu works , nothing ,just sitting there and doing I don’t know what and no sign that is hang , just unresponsive.

I finally stop it with force quit, re-open it again and works normally .

OSX : 10.14.3 (18D109)
XOJO : 2018R4

Any ideas are welcomed.

A few times I get reports of similar things happening to my app.
It seems that sometimes, a messagebox asking for confirmation (or some other modal window) , opens BEHIND the one you can see.
Unless you know it is there, you cannot click ‘Cancel’, ‘Save’, or whatever
While it exists, the app won’t close, and the menus do not work.
Not sure if there is a way to cascade open windows in the way that “windows’” allows…?

Had the same a couple of times lately.
I’m not sure if it has to do with Apple updates.
So far I have experienced this behaviour only with 2018r4 and not with other versions.

[quote=425509:@Jeff Tullin]A few times I get reports of similar things happening to my app.
It seems that sometimes, a messagebox asking for confirmation (or some other modal window) , opens BEHIND the one you can see.
Unless you know it is there, you cannot click ‘Cancel’, ‘Save’, or whatever
While it exists, the app won’t close, and the menus do not work.
Not sure if there is a way to cascade open windows in the way that “windows’” allows…?[/quote]
Well I guess XOJO is doing something in the background even if the windows are already closed , no idea what and why.

I got another issue but that was on High Sierra and previous Xojo version while saving the project after closing the project as I always do and in the end quitting the app, in some random dates no warnings or whatsoever after a while it closes and next time i start the app again even after reboot I get that the project was not saved and to recover it. so weird.

Since I changed the laptop and upgraded to Mojave I get this instead , so no windows opened or popups but I end up with Xojo not responding, no hang on the “Activity Monitor” and I finally have to force quit it as I need to go and need to shut down the laptop.

[quote=425516:@Paul Sondervan]Had the same a couple of times lately.
I’m not sure if it has to do with Apple updates.
So far I have experienced this behaviour only with 2018r4 and not with other versions.[/quote]
I’m glad that I’m not the only one, and indeed only in the latest one so no idea if it’s XOJO or the latest updates.

I do get as well some times builds that I cannot sign, and I have to close the project , close Xojo , open all again, delete all the builds and rebuild again the app to be able to sign it so in a way it is somehow corrupting the binary . no idea if it’s related and because I cannot reproduce I cannot file a bug, that is the funny part.

Use cmd-`to navigate through the front application windows and close them until you found the faultive.

check to be sure in you CLOSE process there is nothing that references any window, property of a window etc. If there is the window will remain active (but in some cases not visible) and the app won’t quit

[quote=425505:@Aurelian Negrea]So I worked on my project, I save it , closed the project as I do every day and then I went Menu and Quit XOJO, for the past 30 min the app is still opened, I opened the activity monitor to see maybe it hang or something fro all is normal, but I simply cannot quit XOJO.

No menu works , nothing ,just sitting there and doing I don’t know what and no sign that is hang , just unresponsive.

I finally stop it with force quit, re-open it again and works normally .

OSX : 10.14.3 (18D109)
XOJO : 2018R4[/quote]

Had the same issue today, but was to lazy to check if Xojo IDE is waiting for Network Data or so. As long as it’s acting normal after a Force Quit & Restart, i do not care.

Something similar happens on Windows but I’m unable to replicate it reliably.
The IDE quits: no windows are visibles, the process is hanging in the background leading to a fault that the system detect creating a process dump.