Xojo pricing

What about ScriptCase?

Yuck PHP :slight_smile:

[quote=11584:@Lee Page]They do exist
Rad Studio XE4

Yuck! Sorry, I stay with Xojo.

[quote]Yuck! Sorry, I stay with Xojo[/quote] lol

Nothing wrong with Xojo, nothing wrong with Rad Studio, Xaramin etc… All about preferences that all

I use Delphi (part of the XE4 studio) for many years now. No DLL hell as Delphi compiles to one (1) native .exe. A word of caution for those who want to develop with XE4 for OSX and iOS platforms: the process is cumbersome and the controls are simulated, not native drawn.

One thing does Delphi better than Xojo (alas) and that is it’s execution speed.

Hi Everyone - If you have any questions regarding pricing, please feel free to email me at custserv@xojo.com and I will be happy to assist.

Katherine Brown
Sales and Customer Service
Xojo, Inc.

[quote=11591:@Amando Blasco][quote=11584:@Lee Page]They do exist
Rad Studio XE4

Yuck! Sorry, I stay with Xojo.[/quote]
What about Qt with its Qt Creator IDE. It’s totally free. You can create applications for Windows, Mac OS, Linux. Android and iOS support is in beta. The only thing you can’t do is web apps.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/New-Features-in-Qt-5.1

It’s also going to be the official toolkit for creating apps for Ubuntu Phone OS and Sailfish OS (for mobile phones).

It is also one of the official toolkits for Blackberry OS.
http://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/develop/platform_partners/qt.html

Does’ Xojo Desktop allow building of console apps?

No, see the pricing, Console is an additional product.

If that is the case then the website should point this out.

[quote]Xojo Desktop
Develop and build apps for OS X, Windows and Linux.[/quote]

Should read

[quote]Xojo Desktop
Develop and build GUI only apps for OS X, Windows and Linux. [/quote]

RS / Xojo doesn’t have the DLL Hell issue either. It is not in a single EXE, which would be nice, but the DLLs it uses are packaged with app folders, so you are not sharing DLLs with other vendors. That is really the issue with DLL hell, not that have to lug around DLLs in your installer, but rather some other vendor could swap out a shared DLL with some other version that may cause you problems.

I looked at Delphi a few years ago when I decided on RS and if the Mac support was better, I might have went with them, their Windows stuff seemed top notch. But the Mac version seemed pretty cludgy and thrown together. I do sometimes get the feeling that WIndows is a second banana with Xojo, but because I was trying to move into the Mac market, seemed like the better choice.

They are competing with the big banana in that market so clearly they’ll always be the second. I think they’re doing it right though, the compelling feature of xojo is the cross-platform. Being awesome at windows just makes you equivalent to a product that has a free version.

Right, but couldn’t you make the same argument with the Mac and native apps written in Obj-C? I agree their drawing card is cross-platform, but X-platform means more than 1 platform and I feel that Windows usually gets the short-end of the stick more than it should. Just my opinion after using RS for 3 years.

Who is “the big banana in that market”, Joseph?

Agreed. I think Windows quality has gone down rather then up. Not enough people at Xojo Inc. using their own product in Windows.

Question, I have an Enterprise license but I only want to renew the IDE. I don’t do anything with console, web, or Real Database, just desktop. In my account it only gives me an option to renew the whole thing. The main reason I purchased the Enterprice license each year was because of where it allowed me to build apps, not for the same reasons the new Xojo Pro license touts.

Contact Customer Service at custserv@xojo.com.

OK thanks. I certainly see value in 3x Feedback and Priority Support, I think they should be offered as options.

Xojo licensing is very rigid.

I am a VB6 developer, and I don’t want to switch to .NET, but, at the same time, I don’t want to throw away my 10 years experience.
Therefore I am looking for an alternative to VB6, and RealStudio seemed to me a good choice.
Since till now I develop software on Windows, do you think I am doing the right choice?
Thanks to everyone.