XOJO Performance (From a newbie point of view)

Right now this installation feels like it’s loading from a spinning disk; I guess it’s because Xcode has gotten so fat, there’s a lot to load. Shame Apple has dropped App plugins, otherwise some of the functionality could be loaded on demand.

I need to find another application that will colorize .h files nicely.

You’re right, I can’t really argue as I don’t write any Swift, only try to read it. Many of Apple’s sample code is now only in Swift. It seems like the focus of Swift is get as much as possible on a single line and readability be dammed, mind you, with the next version of Swift, you’ll probably have to re-write it all anyway.

2 Likes

I never wrote any code line with Switf or X-code, but I can say I wrote and maintain uptodate 11 applications made with Xojo for many years. I meet on forum some people who wrote a single program with Switf / Xcode and who abandoned it after 2 or 3 years. And their job was in relation with software development, my job has nothing to do with development.
For what I read, it seems that Switf is easiest for some particular function, but Xojo is much easiest for a whole application.

That’s utter nonsense, sorry.
You clearly never touched Xcode and Swift. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, with XCode you can’t even do a simple app that holds a couple of hundred passwords anymore. Or what did the 1Password developers say why they can’t use ObjectiveC/Swift anymore? And you need 500 devs for such a simple app.

1 Like

Sarcasm for sure. :joy:

1 Like

[quote=“Beatrix_Willius, post:106, topic:62146”]
Or what did the 1Password developers say why they can’t use ObjectiveC/Swift anymore?[/quote]
I do not know.

If so, what Photoshop developers are they using to create it ?
What development software do Apple engineers use to build macOS and the like …?
I am quite sure they aren’t 10,000 macOS engineers at Apple :grinning:

My friend who made me discover Xojo wrote some programs in Xojo. He stoped to use Xojo and decided to rewrite his best application (only one, he abandoned the others) in Switf. He sent me non-functional new version made with Switf to show me new interface etc. but I never saw the final realise. It was 5 years ago.
I wrote I never developed with X-code, I just repeat what I read from people I know who develop with X-code. It seems an application made with X-code is quickest and take less ko than if made with Xojo. But it take much more time to develop.
I repeat one more time I only know Xojo, I simply guess what is to use X-code reading people who develop with it and seeing their applications.
But what you mean, ChristopheDV, is that is X-code is an easiest way to develop ? It is the first time I ear that.

1 Like

Remember, the XCode Xojo comparison is an Apple vs Orange compare.

What can make one line to do in Xojo may need far more lines in XCode.

And, for the interface, this is far different. How do you add a window in XCode… with code. With Xojo, with the design (Window) Editor.

Many more differences exists: writing a “Hello world” application for example.

Conclusion:
there are Pros and Con for each development application.

1 Like

Just Google “I hate XCode” and you will be happy to use Xojo. That could easily be a marketing angle for Xojo if they were clever.

3 Likes

Yeah, and some of the complaints seems very familiar somehow… Maybe Xojo isnt the worst kid in town after all :open_mouth:

2 Likes

It is for sure not difficult, especially with Swift.
As with Xojo, you need to start learning and get the hang how things work. That will take some time.

That’s not really true anymore. A lot of code is added automatically - for example event handling).

1 Like

Did you ever used Xcode? You do not need to do this with code at all.
And fww, Xojo could learn a lot of Xcode Storyboard. A fantastic way how to keep track of windows, layouts, …

Just Google ‘I hate Xojo’ :slight_smile:

Yes, and I never was able to build an application.

Long time ago, I used BASIC AppleSoft, assembler, C, HyperCard and a bit of Pascal.
All of these were easy to use even as a newbie. This is no more True (excepted for Xojo).

I see. So that means Xcode is not good?

Please keep this conversation on topic.

I fly with X-Plane and I have a frame-rate more than 20 on my old MacBook-Pro. X-Plane calculate the fly model and draw million of polygons (house on the ground, cars, trucks, other planes ans so on). I made a memory game with Xojo, Neuronyx, and I have a poor framerate = 10 to flip a card (draw smaller and smaller and bigger and bigger the other side). I’m not a good programmer, far away behind X-Plane developper. But I suppose X-Plane wrote in Xojo would be unflyable. I think Xojo is very bad in graphics.
I think the difference is less in manipulate string and numbers. But we usually don’t care on the application we develop as the result is faster than we’re able to see it.

To stay on topic, I think we can’t speak performance without speaking about time to develop and maintain uptodate.

I moved from other ‘Basics’ (used to build in Powerbasic, PureBasic, VB family etc.) and found that Xojo is simple and powerful at the same time.
The slowness of IDE is the price we pay for its smartness which does a lot of background stuff.

But, there is one thing which is really need to be optimized: The Xojo Resource folder contains 2400 files! like other sub-folders as well. That’s probably why it is slow compared to other IDE’s - may be Xojo is loading them all at startup, but still, this could be optimized.

I personally storing all my resources in sqlite database(s). Files are loading much faster, than traversing through file system…

Once you know how to write Xcode correctly, it’s not that hard anymore :wink:

1 Like

The Real Studio IDE did the same work behind the scenes and was fast on much older/slower hardware than what we have now. One of the reasons I loved it, when it was current, was because it was snappy. Other IDEs like Visual Studio were already getting bloated and laggy at the time.

I don’t know what changed with the Xojo IDE rewrite. I suspect performance suffered for some architectural decisions which would be difficult to change now. Speed goes up and down with various releases, but Xojo has never been as responsive and snappy as Real Studio was. It’s my #1 complaint. I find modern IDEs can’t keep up with me when I’m really productive. And I would guess, from the resurgence in popularity of simple text editors, that I am not alone.

1 Like