I wanted to renew my Xojo Lite license for macOS, but I read that “Xojo Lite licenses have been discontinued and are no longer available for purchase.”
The only licenses left are the $500 Desktop licenses! This effectively prevents individuals like me—who develop free apps just for fun—from accessing Xojo.
What a disappointment! I’ll have to give up development or switch to Xcode!
Dany
As you said AND according to mémory AND Xojo Store: Buy
Another point: there is no renew (or I misread) for some years (unless your license is still running - unsure of that).
Yes, there are free solutions to switch to.
Do you need to be able to distribute these apps? I ask because you can run your projects from the IDE without a license at all.
He’s talking about free apps, meaning apps he distributes for free. I think quite a few Xojo users do the same and I completely understand why they wouldn’t want to pay for an expensive license just to give their apps away for free.
But we’ve been through this discussion many times before. ![]()
UK/US :
I think it would have been possible (this has already been done in the past by other development tools) to offer a specific, less expensive license that prohibits the commercial distribution of the generated apps (freeware only).
All of this reminds me of Borland’s Delphi era (Pascal language) back when I was using Windows; when they were acquired, they started offering very expensive licenses and forgot about individual users. Generally speaking, that ends badly (for everyone).
Dan
FR :
je pense qu’il aurait été possible (cela a déjà été fait dans le passé par d’autres outils de développement) de proposer une licence spécifique et moins chère qui interdit la commercialisation des apps générées (uniquement des freewares) .
Tout cela me rappelle la période Delphi de Borland (langage Pascal) à l’époque où j’étais sous Windows lorsqu’ils ont été racheté, ils ont alors proposés des licences très chères et oubliés les particuliers. En général, ca se termine mal (pour tout le monde).
Dan
So many FREE options out there an Xojo keeps pushing clients to them…
Look on the bright side, Xojo just gave you a reason not to pay them $100.
I also complained a few months ago about the new license costs for new customers or to renew the lic. I accepted that.
But I hope XOJO will check the overall income of US$ since the lic change and compare it to the situation before. If the overall sold US$ is at least 20% more than same compared time old lic prices then they made all right! But if less than 20% more sold US$ or only equal or badest less than before lic price / lic models change it was an mistake.
Geoff will know that customers (pro) which left XOJO will newer come back. And new users are needed - hard with that new lic models / high prices for hobby programmers.
Solution if for XOJO to solve problem of programming cost for XOJO vs lic models/price?
Option 1: Let android dev option die! freeze Android at the state of know - maybe only fix some major bugs - no new features, no new support for newer OSes. Saves Money for XOJO - and let programmers have more time for the Major XOJO Desktop/Web solutions.
Option 2: Think about an PRO_Tiny Licens which can only build for up to 2 targets (plus free Rasperry). For example : Mac/Win Desktop, Mac/Web, Mac/Linux etc.