Xojo iOs app - database - or filemaker

I’m an Apple Noobie and have been programming on a pc since the 80s. Mostly databases - Dbase, FoxPro, Access (VBA), Oracle PL/SQL.
I just purchased a MacBook Pro and want to create some apps for the iPhone (and potentially Android) market.
Since I’m used to databases, I’m starting with that and hoping to eventually learn SWIFT and perhaps Objective C

So much for that.
I’m thinking of writing my first app that saves quotes for different categories. At the user’s request, it copies it to a web area and updates the quotes on the iPhone with whatever someone else wanted to share.

I looked into Filemaker and XOJO.
Filemaker seems like a very rapid development with a somewhat limited ability to create one’s own procedures, etc. It also seems to limit users to using a Filemaker server and paying for access to such.

XOJO seems that it is more VBA like - define statements, VBA coding, connections, etc.
It also seems that I could run a web based server with a number of databases and not worry about number of user licenses (other than bandwidth).

The Questions:
Can XOJO connect to MS Access running on a web server (say godaddy) and utilize it inn real time? I’m familiar with MySQL a bit and if MS Access isn’t possible is that? Are the tools/drivers to do that built in? If not, are there a number of third part vendors?

I read that I could set up a local mySQL (or was it SQL lite) database and access it via XOJO code. Sounds simple enough. Is there a built in editor for code and something that would help visualize the table setups? Obviously doable with SQL statements, but I’m a little spoiled with MS Access GUI for database design/definition.

With XOJO - do I need any iOS drivers,SDK, etc or is that built in?

Is there a syntax checking editor that lets you place stops, watches, etc when you run the code, or are there third part tools that do that?

(Forgive me for this one) - Can anyone comment on the advantages/disadvantages of XOJO vs Filemaker?

Thanks folks…
Jerry

[quote=306343:@Gerald Novak](Forgive me for this one) - Can anyone comment on the advantages/disadvantages of XOJO vs Filemaker?

[/quote]
try to really program something with filemaker …
try to have multiple windows of the same database with filemaker …

Xojo for Desktop and Xojo for iOS come with SQLite as the default database engine… Other databases can be used with the proper drivers and license… for iOS any database other than SQLite would need to be hosted outside of the mobile device.

ObjC can also use SQLite… as can SWIFT (you just need to add a 3rd party framework)

[quote=306343:@Gerald Novak]Can XOJO connect to MS Access running on a web server (say godaddy) and utilize it inn real time? I’m familiar with MySQL a bit and if MS Access isn’t possible is that? Are the tools/drivers to do that built in? If not, are there a number of third part vendors?

[/quote]
http://developer.xojo.com/database

[quote=306343:@Gerald Novak]Is there a syntax checking editor that lets you place stops, watches, etc when you run the code, or are there third part tools that do that?

[/quote]
http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/using-the-debugger

@Jean-Yves Pochez - RTFM? seriously? :slight_smile:

iOS apps (Xojo or not) should not directly connect to database servers. Instead, connect to a web service that talks to the database. Some information here:

You’ll likely want to use another DB tool for working with your database servers. Navicat seems popular.

For iOS, Xojo has built-in support for local SQLite databases and has the HTTPSocket for connecting to web services.

Xojo uses its own code editor that checks syntax when you run or compile. Xojo has a built-in debugger as well.

More information on this:

At first glance Filemaker looks attractive. I know a couple of developers who do astonishing things with Filemaker. At some point I’ve always come to a hard stop with something that isn’t possible in Filemaker. What you can do development-wise is a joke compared to Access. The interface is severely restricted. A record and details for this record: that’s how you present data in Filemaker. The company moves at glacial speed doing new versions with tiny tiny improvements. And the server is really expensive.

In Xojo you have to do quite a bit more than in Filemaker yourself. All the lovely things that Filemaker does like showing, changing and deleting data.

also one thing that might be important : suppose you want to deploy your app on 100 computers…
and that you cannot use web client due to interface constraints.
it will cost you one xojo licence, or 100 filemakers …