Xojo Installation Ubuntu 14.04 64bit

I’ve been attempting to install Xojo 2 and now 2.1 on to a Ubuntu 14.04 64bit machine. When I’ve gone through the suggestions for getting the 32bit libraries installed, Ubuntu tells me the ia32-libs-multiarch is not able to be located. I’ve added the archives to the Software Update (sources.list in /etc) as suggested to no avail. I’ve even gone and done installations of the individual library files as suggested by several Ubuntu posting sites. Although I’d love to get the IDE running on this machine, that is not the primary objective. Being able to run Xojo applications, both Desktop and Web would be my primary objective and since I get an error while trying to run the programs, I figured the most logical procedure would be to get the IDE up and operational, then the compiled program should have everything they need to run. This is the error I get when trying to run the Xojo IDE:

[quote]Common/plugin.cpp: 5199
Failure Condition: 0
The application cannot continue because a needed file cannot be installed. libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/xojo20I[/quote]

Please help.

Honestly the simplest mechanism is to use a 32 bit install of Ubuntu.
Until Xojo is and creates 64 bit apps getting a distro of Linux to be able to use 32 bit compatibility libraries varies.
And as you’ve noticed may or may not actually work depending on distro.
People have reported success with various distros on the forums (which I know you’ve seen) and others have reported no end of failures.
Personally I dont even try any more to beat any 64 bit distro into using the 32 bit libs & just use 32 bit versions because of the issue with getting 32 bit libs on 64 bit versions.

Sorry I cant be of more help

Thanks Norman, your answer is actually pretty useful. I was hoping ( I know not a good method) that I could avoid the whole reload to 32 bit. It’s taken me a long time to get this machine squared away with all the tools I need and the thought of starting over again is not real appealing. What I may do is put a 32bit virtual machine into virtual box. If I do this what Linux OS do you prefer. (Please notice I asked which you prefer, not which is the best. Don’t want a religious war started here)

Thanks

[quote=125656:@Stewart Ward]Thanks Norman, your answer is actually pretty useful. I was hoping ( I know not a good method) that I could avoid the whole reload to 32 bit. It’s taken me a long time to get this machine squared away with all the tools I need and the thought of starting over again is not real appealing. What I may do is put a 32bit virtual machine into virtual box. If I do this what Linux OS do you prefer. (Please notice I asked which you prefer, not which is the best. Don’t want a religious war started here)

Thanks[/quote]
Mint seems to have the best performance as far as using the IDE on Linux as its UI API’s impose the lowest penalty
Ubuntu’s move to the Unity UI seems to have really clobbered overall performance

After an unsuccessful run with Ubuntu 14.04 64 bits, I switched to Linux Mint 32 bits Cinnamon, and have be most happy ever since. I find the IDE to be even slightly faster than under Windows :slight_smile:

Running in a VM with a 32-bit version of Mint 16/17 and Cinnamon desktop is my preference.

Have been running 32-bit Ubuntu 14.04 and seems to be stable (Web and Desktop applications).

Thanks for everybody’s replies. This is an informational follow up to hopefully save time for those of you beginning a Linux / Xojo journey. 1) As described above, a VirtualBox VM running Linux Mint 32 is by far the easiest path. 2) Linux Mint 32 will NOT work on an HP Z230 workstion, I suspect it’s because of the UEFI BIOS, further if you have anykind of memory in the machine, you’ll have problems with that as well (greater than 2Gig RAM). That’s what I gathered after do a bare metal install the software on my machine and was no longer able to boot. It seems GRUB doesn’t install on the partitions right, so you can’t get a good boot. 3) after going back to Ubuntu 64bit 14.04LTS and following these 3 instructions :

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386

I was able to load the software from Ubuntu One’s software site successfully and work through at least a test application. I need to do some further Desktop testing and some web testing but it seems to be working for now. Thanks for all the help and the moral of the story is Linux Mint 32 is a nice OS and runs Xojo really well, but beware of the hardware on which you try to bare metal install Mint32.

But it works on the same machine within VirtualBox, right ?

Yes, Running Linux Mint 32 as a Virtual Box guest on the 64bit machine works very well. This is by far the easiest way to get Xojo working. Problem was I wanted to make my machine a beta test web site for users to access early release versions of the software I was writing and having it in a Virtualbox VM was not going to work with out building headless installations and getting them to launch at server start up etc, etc, etc… (Another rabbit hole)

BUT, if you’re just looking for a Linux development environment that works. Virtualbox guest running Linux Mint 32 is the recipe.