Xojo IDE on Surface 3

Hi all,

I tested the Surface 3 (not the Surface PRO, but the little Atom, 2GB) for a client. Out of curiosity, I have tested the IDE Xojo. it works well! Despite a small microprocessor and little RAM is usable! Even on a quite heavy project. At first I had some crashes, but it seems to work now. Of course, it is better to take the 4GB version or surface Pro.

Someone tried IDE on this product? Generally, the IDE runs well on Windows?

I guess with the 64-bit compiler, the machine may not be powerful enough. Those who have tested the beta, what do you think?

Thank you
olivier

Nice share!

Thanks Ronaldo. Oddly, when compiling, the microprocessor is only 40% of its power. The most amazing is that it is faster than my MacBook Pro Retina on some points! In the navigation and creation/duplication of methods (which is really slow on the Mac when many methods …).

But I have a few crashes. I think that 2 GB is not enough.

Someone uses a Surface PRO 3?

I did not used to use Xojo on Windows. In General, what do you think of the Xojo IDE on Windows? It is as good as the Mac version?

I cannot compare the IDE on the Mac, but I can attest to the fact that the IDE is stable on Windows. You should however probably change some habits: close it when you are done and reboot your computer once a week. It is not absolutely necessary, but I stil recommend it. The Surface Pro is a full computer in tablet format. The lesser models use a core I3 and the higher end go to core I7. I recommend at least 4GB of RAM. Pro generally comes with the 64-bit windows installed. In all cases, you should be just fine running the IDE. Screen real estate will be limited, so I recommend buying the VGA adapter to connect to a second screen.

Thank you Louis!

I use the IDE on my Surface Pro 3 under Windows 10, but that’s a completely different creature than the little brother.

Thank you Tim. In your opinion, the Xojo IDE is fast enough on a Surface PRO 3 i5 with 4 GB of RAM (Windows 10)? Maybe I’ll take this PRO Version.

Aside from the screen size, it works great while working in a portable situation. As Louis mentions, a video adapter to go out to a bit larger screen is helpful if you’re using it for more that debugging / testing.

I have been using the Windows IDE under Windows 8.1 on an Asus Transformer Book T-100 which has a Intel Atom BayTrail-T- Z3735G 1.33 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM and 500 Gb storage.

I was amazed to see how smooth the IDE was on such a small machine. As other have noted, once launched, it is hardly slower than on a much faster machine.

Memory constraints are likely to have more impact that most anything else

I have a Surface Pro version 1 with 4 MB of ram and it is incredibly fast. Windows 10 boots up in 7 seconds. Only on some high resolution games would my Surface Pro 1 fan make noise from venting lots of air to keep it cool.

Surface Pro 1 works with me out in the field, in extreme cold ( -40 Celsius at times) and has always worked. There has been no issues with Xojo on this machine.

As Norman said, probably the memory constraint is the issue.