Xojo Game Engines

Please can somebody list some of the free and commercial game engines that I can use with Xojo. I know of SuperSpriteSurface. But the website does not make it clear as to wether or not SuperSpriteSurface supports Linux. Please list commercial game engines and free ones. Lots of thanks in advance. :smiley:

If you are interested in 3D games, might I recommend www.xojo3d.com.

It is not a full gaming engine as you might expect, but does provide some free code at this point to get started with 3D programming.

I do have a basic road-map for Xojo3D.com, to take it beyond just being a basic tutorial website. Here is a brief summary of what is coming next:

• Tutorial 14 - File IO (FREE)
    Showing you how to load and save models with the X3 Data Format Specification.
  • X3 Data Format Specification (FREE)
    An open specification on how to represent 3D assets with JSON, in an cross-platform environment, that could potentially be used in a web environment as well.
  • X3 Viewer (FREE)
    An tool to view X3 assets with.
  • X3 Core SDK (FREE)
    Basic 3D engine capable of rendering X3 assets.
  • X3 Extended SDK (COMMERCIAL)
    A more advanced 3D engine, 100% compatible with the Core SDK, but extending it’s capabilities for more advanced requirements.
  • X3 VectorJam (COMMERCIAL)
    A tool for creating and maintaining X3 model assets.

I’m planning much more than I’m showing here, but this is the more immediate plan that I have for Xojo3D.com. All the code is written in Xojo and tested on all platforms Windows, OS X and Linux (Ubuntu).

You will notice some parts will be FREE and some parts will be COMMERCIAL. I want to provide an oppurtinuty the 3D hobbyist and educator for free, while catering for the professional 3D developers that want to build commercial 3D solutions that requires more direct support.

Currently I’m working on this part-time, so can therefore unfortunately not provide an ETA.

I realize this might not be what you’re looking for (yet), but if a 3D solution, written in pure Xojo, tested for Windows, OS X and Linux excites you… then you might want to stick around?

I also want to know if there is physics engine library. That would be awesome. :slight_smile:

There will be now… just added it as a feature requests in my tracking system. It will probably be part of the commercial SDK extension though.

But expect a very humble level of Science during first releases.

Also, such an engine will probably only be delivered after other milestones are met.

[quote=27490:@Alwyn Bester]There will be now… just added it as a feature requests in my tracking system. It will probably be part of the commercial SDK extension though.

But expect a very humble level of Science during first releases.[/quote]
Thanks. How much can I be expecting to pay for this. I am looking at 2D aswell. And SuperSpriteSurface seems to fit the job but I do not know if it supports Linux. Thanks

[quote=27490:@Alwyn Bester]There will be now… just added it as a feature requests in my tracking system. It will probably be part of the commercial SDK extension though.

But expect a very humble level of Science during first releases.[/quote]
What do you think of RBGL3D, an RB3D game engine. My plan is to kind of write my own game engine but use somebody else’s game engine for that.

Pricing for the commercial components of X3 haven’t been set yet, but my aim will be to make it as economical as possible, especially for the first few releases where the system still lacks features when compared to mature 3D sytems. I’ll probably use the business model where the first purchases is priced higher than upgrades, and that upgrades are not compulsory (very similar to how Xojo, Inc. does things).

I’m also looking at segmenting the system in such a way, that you as developer only have to buy the components you need. For example, if you only need the advanced 3D rendering portion without physics, you only pay for the advanced 3D rendering portion…

To be honest, I’m still working at getting the free components released, so haven’t put too much though into how exactly the commercial side of the X3 engine will be handled.

Will have to get back to you on this one, since I haven’t looked at RBGL3D or RB3D yet.

Sounds like an exciting project. Have you decided on a game story line yet… or are you still busy doing your research?

[quote=27516:@Alwyn Bester]Will have to get back to you on this one, since I haven’t looked at RBGL3D or RB3D yet.

Sounds like an exciting project. Have you decided on a game story line yet… or are you still busy doing your research?[/quote]
I am not building a game but I am building an engine. I have made good progress with the user interface.