Xojo Extras not compiled with current version?

I just unzipped the Desktop Remote Debugger for x64 Windows from the 2023 R4 release, and it’s the same version 2.5 as included before.

Shouldn’t everything (extras, tools, etc.) in each Xojo Release be compiled with the latest IDE version and get a version # bump?

Given the speed increases in the 2023 R4 IDE, I think this would be a great way to improve performance for remote debugging.

2 Likes

When I was there, RDS was rebuilt every cycle but only got a version bump if the actual code changed or backward compatibility was affected.

1 Like

I guess the checksum may change if it was rebuilt, maybe Mike can check.

2 Likes

But that still doesn’t mean that anything “changed”

I think the point was a recompile with the latest version may provide some optimizations on the existing code, such as nil object checks or whatever being faster. What impact that may have on the extras though is another matter. But in theory won’t be worse.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked at checksums, but the file creation dates on some of the extras appear to be old, from late Early 2022:

1 Like

https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/75260

Ah. That’s the last time that I did that build. :frowning:

2 Likes

It probably wouldn’t make much difference as the Remote Debugger only facilitates the transfer and launching of the app on the host computer. The actual remote debugging occurs directly between the app and the IDE.