Xojo crashes on Linux Mint Cinnamon when trying to print or pagesetup

HI all, I’m new to Xojo and Linux. I installed Linux Mint-Cinnamon 20.2 (mint recommended by Xojo) on a Lenova S340 with a i7. Not a dual boot install. Downloaded Xojo and extracted files into folder named Applications. Did a lot of coding/learning and really like the app being an old VB programmer. Suddenly, system crashes when I try to print. Did a lot of research and see this has been an issue for many years but I don’t see any resolution. Linux Mint install installed CUPS for printing. Printing works fine if I’m not connected to router but crashes if I connect to router. I’ve tried Ubuntu, Mate, and Manjaro and same issue occurs in each. I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know if a solution to this issue was discovered (i.e. specific setup or version of linux)?
  2. Does anyone know if bkeeney short is a good workaround for this issue?

I hate to spend more money if printing isn’t going to work but obviously, it must work somehow of Xojo wouldn’t have any users. Thank you for any help you can provide.

I already reported on this some time ago and AFAIK there is no fix - there is an open case, I’ll try to find the number.

<https://xojo.com/issue/58365>

1 Like

Try using Libreoffice:

dim newFolder as FolderItem
newFolder=Specialfolder.temporary.child(“mytext”)
newFolder.createAsFolder

Dim f_print as new FolderItem
f_print = SpecialFolder.temporary.Child(“mytext”).child(“printout.rtf”)
If f_print <> nil then
Dim s as TextOutputStream=TextOutputStream.Create(f_print)
s.Write mainwindow.editArea.StyledText.RTFData
s = nil
End if

dim s as Shell
s = new shell
s.Execute (“libreoffice --headless --invisible --norestore --convert-to pdf /tmp/mytext/printout.rtf”)
s.execute (“libreoffice --headless -p printout.pdf”)

2 Likes

You will probably have Window1.textarea1 instead of mainwindow.editarea

For documentation sake on this issue, there is a possible workaround in the above thread related to Cups.

1 Like