Xojo crashes if you...

I have just reported this as a bug, but if you create a new method, property or whatever and you clear out the object’s name in the inspector and hit the Enter key, Xojo will crash if it is a method, fake a crash if it is any other control. On top of this, if you are creating new method name, Auto Complete kicks in as you type a method name – which is annoying and can cause typos. Just an FYI.

It’s helpful if you post the Feedback link so we can look at the report (assuming it’s public). Perhaps there’s information we can add.

Not sure how to post a URL link, but case:

27123 - Empty name in inspector crashes

Just figured it out: <https://xojo.com/issue/27123>

In Feedback with your report open, go to the bottom of the window and look for the gear icon. Click on it and select “Copy Sharing Link”. Then paste the resulting string in the forum message. Nothing else needed.

Are you on Windows, OS X or Linux? I just tried to reproduce this on OS X and could not.

Mac OS X, Mt. Lion

I can consistently reproduce this. Just add a new method and clear out the name then hit enter. You can also select an existing method and clear out its name and it will also crash. I can create a simple video to show the bug if you like.

[quote=11195:@[deleted]]Mac OS X, Mt. Lion

I can consistently reproduce this. Just add a new method and clear out the name then hit enter. You can also select an existing method and clear out its name and it will also crash. I can create a simple video to show the bug if you like.[/quote]
Maybe you should. I just added a new method, pressed Delete (to clear the name) then pressed the Return key. I got a message saying the method name cannot be blank. No crash.

I have just submitted the crash dump. Please merge the two cases. I will create a video and post it on my server in the next few minutes.

<https://xojo.com/issue/27125>

I have reproduced it. Create a new class. Class1.
Right click Class1 and add new method.
In the Inspector, clear the new new Untitled method name and press ENTER. Crash!

I think it might be because I have the inspector/library as floating pallets and not integrated. It seems to appear only if detach the inspector from the main IDE. Someone please confirm.

Funny. Crash but ALSO says “The method name cannot be blank” at the same time. (Tooltip like)

Yes, I can now say that if I have the inspector detached as a floating palette, the bug is reproducible 100% of the time. If I reintegrate the inspector, the bug is gone.

Mine is detached. I use Library at the left, and the Inspect at the right of the main editor.

I’ve added extra info to your case.

If it is a floating palette you get the crash.

A little off-topic, but do you guys think it is a good idea to use a pulldown menu with auto-complete for naming a method?

I like that set up. I’ve now attached my MacBook to my thunderbolt display and moved the different palettes to the sides of the main IDE and wow - do I feel much better!

Seems OK on Windows, only issues the blank method name warning message.

Yes, I can reproduce it now as well.