Xojo crash and i lost my program

Hi everybody

Im very upset because after 3 days of hard work, Xojo crash while coding , and after i reopen the file my complete program is gone, including the IDE is empty because some xojo framework issue.

There is any way to get back my work?
Xojo ver is 2015 2.4 Windows & Mac

Thanks for the help

Lesson nr 1: make backups of your work frequently;
Lesson nr 2: check your backups;
Lesson nr 3: have your backups on a safe place, not on your development machine.

Thanks for the lessons but that does not explain why a software like xojo is just crashing without any reason.
My money did not crashed when i paid for it , so i would to like to code safe. Why with xojo is not possible?

Is the file empty or does it just not open? If it’s not empty can you post the file to see if someone can extract anything left inside?

Look in the cache for any auto-save files. Xojo saves when you run the app (in the cache area, not over your project).

Hi

The size of file before crashing was 19 mb , after reopen 10 kb , so the file open but all windows, method etc are gone, so the IDE is empty.

Is very very very very strange…

Hi Tim

Good tip thanks i go to check and hope…

Hi Tim

Nothing i cant find it , is a mystery i cannot believe it…

well, when it crashed while writing the file, there could be an invisible copy for the temp file.

and look here:
/Users/cs/Library/Application\ Support/Xojo/Xojo/Xojo\ 2016r1/AutoSave\ Projects

or similar for path for you.

On the Mac: do you have a Time Machine drive attached?
If so, you might be able to wind back and find a saved copy from before the crash.

It isn’t. And in general, it doesnt.
We just don’t know what the cause was, or what your code was trying to do.
I dont know anyone who has ever NOT lost work due to a crash.
(Or worse, when closing windows to clear the screen and closing an unsaved document by accident)

Never with Xojo, but certainly with other applications (which I think was your point).

Hi Tim

You think right , anyway thanks to all for helping…your the best guys.

FYI : i did not find the file , so tiers at side and start again!!

1. Use TimeMachine, CrashPlan, Superduper whatever. But not nothing.

2. Make all your project items external. When the main project file is toasted the rest should be fine.

3. Get started with SVN (Cornerstone or similar). It’s valuable to use even if you don’t use the text format.

If very much doubt that a crash of Xojo could wipe out the 19 MB and create an empty – and loadable – project file. Are you sure you haven’t saved – unintended – an empty project with the same name and thereby erased your project?

In addition, though I have had some crashes, they have been very rare – and I usually have the IDE open for weeks and months.

[quote=266070:@Eli Ott]
I very much doubt that a crash of Xojo could wipe out the 19 MB and create an empty – and loadable – project file.[/quote]

I was think the same. Thats very unlikely.

You can still do some things which do not come for free but can help you.

The first thing, do not write anything on that disc any more.

You can try GetDataBack to get your file back. When it succeed, you have a 100% usable file again, which mean you have your project back. This is the easiest way to recover your file but an expensive one. Nevertheless when it succeed, the money is repaid at once.

I am using Xojo 2015 r2.3 and it is very stable. However I disagree with some people here, mentioning that damaging your project file is very unlikely with a Xojo crash. A crash on the wrong moment and you are left with a damaged project file. It happens in other applications and Xojo is no exception.

Like others mentioned, a regularly backup can save you a lot of trouble. I am sure you learned this lesson very well now.

Hope you will recover your project succesfully.

Chris

Elders used to say their prayers at the end of a hard day’s work. Computer users should backup their data when the sun sets.

[quote=266048:@Alan Castellana]Thanks for the lessons but that does not explain why a software like xojo is just crashing without any reason.
My money did not crashed when i paid for it , so i would to like to code safe. Why with xojo is not possible?[/quote]

It did not crash “without a reason”… it is just that you don’t know at the moment what that reason was. If it were a major defect in XOJO, then you would NOT be the only one discussing this… So I am inclined to believe it is a hardware defect in your machine, the use of some internal declare done improprerly or something along those lines.

People are always too quick to blame the tool (XOJO), instead of the materials (computer) or craftsman(developer). Not saying that any specific one or combination caused your issue, just pointing out that any or combination could lead to it.

• and after major changes
  • and just before each coffee break
  • and when the doorbell rings
  • etc.

and if you are not using SOME KIND of backup, then nobody else to blame…

I feel for you Alan, this happens to me sometimes. You gotta backup, that can’t be said enough.

I just had a corruption and I rebuilt my file so all was good, but I did lose a couple things.

But how to deal with your issue - obviously most of your app is gone, unless there’s something backed up in some sort of way. So there’s nothing that can be done.

What I do to prevent these things are:

I use XML exclusively, so if there’s an issue, I can rebuild the file in some sort of way, because the corruption almost always results in malformed XML.

I use external files as much as I can. Typically, when everything is internal, it sits in that one project file which is just asking for corruption, when you put all your eggs in one basket.

Why Xojo doesn’t have a REAL text-only file format by now is beyond me.