Xojo built EXE slowdown mystery

My built app runs slowly but only under a specific condition:

  1. some_name.exe (built with Xojo) runs slow
  2. Rename some_name.exe to some_other_name.exe (and rename the corresponding some_name Libs and some_name Resources folders
  3. some_other_name.exe runs fast (approx 5x speed increase over some_name.exe)

The only difference is the naming of the .exe file.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any clues to a solution?

The only antivirus present is the standard “Virus & threat protection settings” built into Windows 10. The strange symptom persists when “Real-time protection” is off.

With “Windows Virus & threat protection”, try adding the exe to the exclusions. I’m on Windows 11 and it is under “Windows Security” → “Virus & threat protection” → “Virus & threat protection settings”, then scroll to the bottom and look for “Exclusions”. Click “Add or remove exclusions” and you will see what to do.

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried it but to no avail.

It turns out that a while ago I had used gflags.exe to configure the application to run with extra debugging facilities to detect heap corruption, and I did not realize that this setting is permanent and applies to all .exe files of the same name.

Now resolved.

Please mark your reply as being the solution.
This will help other people facing the same issue. :slightly_smiling_face: