Xojo apps on Windows on ARM on Parallels on M1

Is it possible to run Intel apps on a M1 Mac? I just gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised: I was able to run 32 and 64 bit win32 apps built with Xojo…

Steps:

1. Get the technical preview of Parallels for M1 macs: Parallels Desktop for Mac with Apple M1 chip (Apple Silicon)
  2. Download the Windows Insider build of Windows for ARM: Download Windows Insider Preview ARM64

In brief testing, my 32 bit Xojo app worked fine. My 64 bit Xojo app had a little more trouble. One thing I noticed is that my ISS (InnoSetup installer script) had this line:

ArchitecturesAllowed=x64

which prevents the installer from running on ARM Windows.
I changed it to

ArchitecturesAllowed=x64 arm64

and it now works.

I’m still seeing some issues which I think have to do with file paths on windows that I’m investigating, but overall I was pretty happy with how my software worked.

1 Like

I’ve been running this setup since I received my M1 and the Parallels preview came out and have been shocked at the stability of traditional Windows apps on ARM.

That being said: one of my apps does alot of graphical work, and I’ve seen numerous issues there that I just haven’t found the time to report. I’m assuming it’s the display driver causing the trouble, and get crashes with D2D reporting “SUCCESS”.

Followup link to more recent discussion Win 10 emulation on M1 Mac