Xojo Android first impression

I find that without MBS plugins to fall back on, the lack of:

• PDF Document
  • XML Document
  • and RGBSurface.Pixel()
    made it a complete non-starter for me, after some days porting non-GUI classes one by one.
    No workarounds.

A pity…
( to be fair they are specifically mentioned in the Android readme)
My fault. I just didn’t realise that it is still beta.
Any ideas when these things are likely to be started?

Well, we only the past experiences to make an educated guess, just look at the "deferred " features of Web 2…

3 YEARS after the “final” (not beta) release and counting:

[quote=“Jeff Tullin, post:21, topic:76823, full:true, username:Jeff_Tullin”]
I find that without MBS plugins to fall back on, the lack of:

• PDF Document
  • XML Document
  • and RGBSurface.Pixel()
    made it a complete non-starter for me, after some days porting non-GUI classes one by one.
    No workarounds.

A pity…[/quote]
Add the TCPSocket to this list. That’s the reason why I haven’t yet started any Android project. And the MBS plugins won’t help me, unlike the stuff you mention.

I’m not sure why anyone would use a TCPSocket on a mobile device. They consume huge amounts of power and with the unreliable connections you must have to reconnect a lot.

1 Like

My current needs for this would be to communicate to a computer on the same wifi network for various purposes.

2 Likes

My app, which is on iOS and Android stores, sold a fair few copies, needs a tcpsocket to communicate with some radio automation. It was developed using a tool which is now depracated, albeit OSS now, however to keep it going needs some major love to update the min SDK requirements and also Google Play Store latest API set. I was hoping to migrate it to Xojo but I need Google Play Store as well as TCPSockets. I started developing something else, needs notifications. That was a non-starter. Someday…

The same problems I have but I managed to solve them.

Too bad you can do an iOS project and then have to do a different Android project.

How magnificent is Xojo Desktop… write your Application and then decide whether to compile for Windows, Mac and Linux.

If mobile worked like this too, it would be excellent.

3 Likes

It is planned for future versions, just not quite yet.

If they didnt to it when the product was on development, changing the framework, the IDE and the logic of how controls work to be compatible… Sounds like another thing that is now comming or it will need another rewrite of the proyects :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

They say that it was designed to be changed to a single mobile project easily. I suspect they didn’t want to change iOS projects to be mobile at the same time as creating Android.

Relying on Android Studio for compilation is not very comfortable, as its deployment is slow. Can it be a similar approach to B4R, which does not require Android studio, only requires jdk and adk.
Like E4A, nothing is needed.

1 Like