Xojo 2022 Release 3 Minimum Windows Version

According to the documentation, the latest Xojo release supports Windows 8.1 and above, dropping support for Windows 7. But Windows 7 and Windows 8 are both still listed in the IDE as supported versions.

I just want to confirm that we can definitely no longer target Windows 7 or Windows 8? I still occasionally get users running my app on Windows 7 SP1…

I think that Xojo, the compiler, still supports it, but Xojo, the company, don’t. I mean, legally, like when things start to crash at some point in that OS, they simply may refuse to fix.

Microsoft discontinued Win 7 on January 2020

And WILL cease support to Win 8/8.1 too in less than 3 months, January 2023.

Be prepared for a Win 10/11 only world soon.

There is a difference between what the IDE needs vs. an application you build.

1 Like

One of my favourite machines still runs Windows 7 , and frankly I dont want to change it.
I won’t be alone

1 Like

To be clearer, I’m referring to the built application requirements, not the IDE requirements.

1 Like

To my surprise, Windows 8.1 is listed as the minimum version for both the IDE and built apps.
https://documentation.xojo.com/resources/system_requirements_for_current_release.html

Many new UI APIs will be Win10+ only.

So, at some point we may reach some kind of point of no return.

Windows App SDK will need Windows 10, version 1809 (build 17763) or later to be more precise, and it is the requirement for the WinUI 3+ controls and APIs.

Oh I have no problems with the version bump. I was just surprised because there’s usually some sort of new feature or something that warrants the change.

Seems like they followed just the MS guidelines, as Win 7 and Win 8 reached EOL, so be prepared for the Win 8.1 EOL in Jan/23 ?

We tend to follow OS vendor guidelines but also take into account actual usage. In the case of Windows 7, it has been unsupported by Microsoft for some time and its usage has finally dropped below our threshold.

When Win 8.1 gets EOL by MS we will review its usage and decide how much longer we will continue its support. Getting to Windows 10/11 only does open up a lot of APIs that can enable new features and bug fixes, so anything MS can do to get their usage up is appreciated by us. :slight_smile:

Oh, and that Windows 7 switch still showing up is clearly a bug. I created Issue 70444 for it.

1 Like

That won’t be present in Win7 and Win 8.x, trying it will probably crash. So devs will need to make choices.

Even some older Win10 are not supported, like:

• Version 1507 (RTM) - July 29, 2015
  • Version 1511 (November Update) - November 10, 2015
  • Version 1607 (Anniversary Update) - August 2, 2016
  • Version 1703 (Creators Update) - April 5, 2017
  • Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) - October 17, 2017
  • Version 1803 (April 2018 Update) - April 30, 2018

WinUI 3 support starts at version 1809:

• Version 1809 (October 2018 Update) - October 2, 2018
1 Like

What is the last Xojo version whose built apps could run in Windows 7? Also, where is the list on the web that shows these types of things (not current Xojo, but past Xojo)?

My app built with 2022r4.1 macOS runs in W7 just fine.

So why does this, as of Jan 22 2023
https://documentation.xojo.com/resources/system_requirements_for_current_release.html
…not mention Win7?
Also, the System Requirements here
https://documentation.xojo.com/resources/previous_releases/2022r4.html
…routes to 2022r3, not 2022r4

The docs don’t mention Windows 7 and macOS High Sierra because we now have an official list and an unofficial one.

1 Like

Windows 8 never had a good adoption rate. If Xojo drops support for Windows 7 that has like 11% marketshare, why keep the windows 8 that has like 3% ???

Uggg… I hate it when things are not black or white. If current-version Xojo compiled apps run on Win7, just say so. If there are issues, then say so. If there are enough issues where it’ll SUCK, remove the ability to compile for it. We’re all grown ups. We don’t have to be protected from ourselves. OMG

2 Likes

I think “Not Supported” doesn’t mean “it won’t work”. This is a screenshot from Xojo 2022r4.1:

At some point (I guess) Xojo will not create programs that can run using Windows 7, we are not yet there.

It’s a combination of what is still supported by the OS vendor and usage rates. Now that 8.1 is EOL by MS, I suspect we will considering adding it to “not supported” at some point this year.

3 Likes