Xojo 2020 Update Video From CEO Geoff Perlman

just change all declarations:

source = ReplaceAll(Source, "as text", "as string")

it was in geoffs keynote that string and variant are coming to iOS eventually

Uhmmm… okay then I am the bad-guy asking silly questions about the new worker class.

Is the communication between the sockets encrypted? What kind of security measures are implemented preventing other apps to sniff into the IPC Communication? To give you a glimps how rotten Password Managers are here’s a paper "MitM Exploiting secure communication inside a computer".

[quote=480733:@Tomas Jakobs]Uhmmm… okay then I am the bad-guy asking silly questions about the new worker class.

Is the communication between the sockets encrypted? What kind of security measures are implemented preventing other apps to sniff into the IPC Communication? To give you a glimps how rotten Password Managers are here’s a paper "MitM Exploiting secure communication inside a computer".[/quote]
Probably not encrypted, but as it’s a string (so it seems) that can be parsed, you can encrypt it yourself.
B.t.w. if you have an attacker inside your machine, then your machine is rotten, not the software.

Well, not privy to any inside information – I had not heard to the Worker class until the video and roadmap – but since they are passing strings you could just encrypt / decrypt the passed values yourself. Not even sure you would have to Base64 encode it since IPC is not like sending URLs.

Edit: Derk beat me to the punch…

Well yes encryption is the key but how do we know who is communicating with whom? is there any validation or key exchange between the IPC sockets? I would like to hear more about the worker class and how it works internally. Of course it improves our lives but what’s the trade-off?

I was talking about API 2 Desktop.

no ones asked about Worker.JobRun
what will / wont be in scope ?
if you try & manipulate a windows properties will you get a compile error ? or a runtime error ? or ???
I’m sure people will try that sort of thing

[quote=480742:@Norman Palardy]no ones asked about Worker.JobRun
what will / wont be in scope ?
if you try & manipulate a windows properties will you get a compile error ? or a runtime error ? or ???
I’m sure people will try that sort of thing[/quote]
They’re console apps, so…

Sure I suspected as much but you can bet someone will write code in JobRun and then wonder why doesnt it compile ?
There’s the class and the window right there in the same project so … why cant I do this ?
You know it will happen so I sure hope the compile errors are clear :slight_smile:

My question with workers is will exceptions be passed back automatically to be handled in the main application?

I’d handle the exception in the worker and return a suitable value in JobCompleted
As greg noted they do get compiled into their own console app so theres no “passing exceptions” but you can pass data

Unless the auto generated console app has its own unhandled exception handler, which then passes exception data back to the main Xojo app (via the IPC socket) where it raises an exception for you. Or maybe that is what you meant, except that you get some type of status code in the JobCompleted event instead of it raising an exception on the main app.

But at this point all most of us can do is speculate. I’m sure there will be some way of detecting abnormal terminations though, so we can just adapt to whatever that is when the time comes. It isn’t like we need backward compatibility with existing code here.

Until we actually see it we’re guessing
Until it shows up in a beta / release maybe treat it like it doesnt exist

As the roadmap suggests:

Always good advice. As proven by another statement on that page:

The (public) roadmap looked much different before the video was released though it is obvious from the video that this has been in the works for sometime.

I remember the couple premature announcements for iOS, including a demo video, with features (button styling) that never actually became reality.

Geoff’s demo of API 2.00 code across platforms is nice, but it does not mean Android or iOS API 2.00 actually exist…

[quote=480784:@Douglas Handy]
Always good advice. [/quote]

since that roadmap can change [quote=480778:@Norman Palardy]
Until it shows up in a beta / release maybe treat it like it doesnt exist[/quote]

the roadmap page basically says that as well :slight_smile:

You can make bets which item will not ship this year!

Android as well. We didn’t list it because it’s not yet a shipping platform.

I can say with 100% certainty that they exist. :slight_smile: