Xojo 2020 Update Video From CEO Geoff Perlman

Well at least part of them were said to be in R1, so hopefully that means 2020 R1. :slight_smile: And since nearing the end of March now (though releases are not promised on a calendar quarter schedule) here is hoping it is “relatively” soon. Although the demo of Workers really caught my eye, though a slide near the end made it sound like multi-core support was coming “later this year”. So I am not sure that Workers will be part of R1.

Would love to be proved wrong though. I already use console apps as helpers, but looks like this will greatly simplify the process!

WOOT!!! PDF Documents and Workers…Almost looking forward to these more than Web 2.0…Almost. :slight_smile:

120/5000
as they say in my country, do not throw candy to the children, we are going to want more and for yesterday, we already want Web 2.0, android, etc.

My understanding is that workers will come after r1.

I hope not. It would be a pity if Web 2.0 were “The Thing” of r1 and we wouldn’t get really big news in the desktop environment.

PDF and especially Works are great at first sight. Whereby I wonder if the JobCompleted/JobRun Events can only get strings as parameters or also other data types.

Desktop, web and console until we have API 2.0 for iOS because PDF support requires strings.

Even if so, you can accomplish much by using a dictionary or JSON and bi-directional string conversion. It does sound like they are using IPC under the covers, so I suspect you would have to serialize objects or whatever. Would be cool if it could be shared memory blocks though.

Some exciting changes for iOS… will be interested to see how declares interact with the new Mobile classes, and if any of iOSKit is usable with API2.0. Some sort of conversion tool for projects will go a long way since converting it will take forever manually.

All great news! Thanks for the update and the features look like really nice additions!

I’m curious what kind of interaction might be available for workers. Will they have an optional persistent lifecycle that we can interact with?

we’ll find out a lot of this once we can actually test things out and poke around for ourselves

Excellent presentation. Lots of really exciting new things to play with. Well done!

Whilst I am very happy about iOS plugins, are interops no longer a thing?

[quote=480628:@Garry Pettet]Excellent presentation. Lots of really exciting new things to play with. Well done!

Whilst I am very happy about iOS plugins, are interops no longer a thing?[/quote]
It’s dropped down the list but it’s still on the roadmap. https://documentation.xojo.com/resources/roadmap.html

Wow, looks like the roadmap has changed significantly since I last looked at it a few weeks ago. And the multicore support – which I assume is the Workers class? – at priority 5 will certainly not be in 2020 R1. So I’ll continue to develope my own console apps and communication in the interim.

But still the long term vision of many things is very promising!

Blown away. Great news across the board.

Wow…can’t wait. :wink:

Web-based Feedback!!!

Nice video! Thanks a lot! Fun to watch!

@Geoff
You were laughing telling users use some graphics code to draw things at runtime.
Not so quick here: they build reports, they build up data queries and they will have to learn how to program (maybe for little things).
The problem at least at our site: too few software developers available and it does not get better.

Btw., look at NetBeans: it’s also a framework for application building (use the NetBeans infrastructure itself for Your application).
So, Xojo as adjustable framework with then (lower) runtime license costs per user (as each one is using Xojo as app).
I mean what is more user friendly being an IDE than Xojo?

2020 promises to be a good year after all!

Can’t wait to start testing the fantastic new goodies! Web 2.0, PDF, Worker classes! Wow! I am like a kid just before Christmas! (Yes I know… Not all for R1… But just the same!)

edit: fixed typo: it is know

Will be missing on Android?