XDC2022 Open Conversation - Day 1

Interestingly, on several occaisions I had Google Ads removed because my ad said
‘XYZ’ software for Mac and Windows

Shut down because of use of the word ‘Mac’
I complained that if I was selling parts that only fit a Fender guitar, or a Ford car they definitely allowed that, and several other similar cases. But either I wasn’t spending enough, or Apple were REALLY litigating…
or

@Jeff_Tullin You just need to submit an authorization request through AdWords. Contact their support to walk you through the process.

6 Likes

Your case seems just Google prevention as Apple is aggressive.

Many UK supermarkets regularly reference their rivals in cost comparison ads.

1 Like

UK is outside of EC.

Sadly
(dont need a discussion about Brexit tho… everyone has an opinion, thats fine… :slight_smile:
)

1 Like

That’s an insane level of lack of freedom. I hope you are misunderstanding something about EU rules or they are going to be the next Soviet Union at least at the bureaucracy level :smile:

The use of image (celebrities) is another chapter, it’s not about trademarks. The comparative feature is ok, but not allowing to say publicly “Someone at McDonalds bought an ice cream” is insane.

Matter of perspective :slight_smile:

Friends will be friends :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And that drives prices to the best levels the consumers could get.

Huh, we are getting heavily off topic. I need to see additional factual information about products, not just price. Value/cost ratio drives my choice, not price only.

Agreed.

1 Like

Getting off topic, I guess, but generally speaking companies the likes of those in the graphic above will have language buried in their absurdly long purchasing agreements referenced by their purchase orders that will specifically disallow any use of their trademarks for promoting your own business without specific permission. Always best to get permission in writing, me thinks. No matter who is right or wrong, the winner will generally be the one who can afford to drag it out in court longer than the other.

1 Like

This is how I know it.

They still did it when we were in the EU, price comparison advertising is not a new phenomenon.

That’s correct. Two weeks per major release.

1 Like

These are controls that are being seen in more and more user interfaces so we want to make sure they are available to Xojo users.

1 Like

It is not but it’s a far more straightforward process.

No further details at this time. It’s been on our roadmap for a while now. It’s just getting closer to bubbling towards the top and while minor details may change the overall benefit remains the same.

1 Like

A Xojo-app that grew from a session in Nashville - a great blog post about using the MBS Plugins from Tim Dietrich

6 Likes