XDC2014 Open Conversation - Day 1

amen! now we will be consistent. and we love consistency!!

Console framework will coexist with existing framework initially. iOS will only use new framework, and some things won’t be there initially like regular expressions (what?!?)…

UI framework will sit under the code for all platforms. No more Pushbutton vs. WebButton, there will just be a Button (or whatever it will be called).

I’m speculating that MacOSLib will play a big role in initial iOS development as a way to fill the gap. I added OS X-native regular expression classes with glue code some time ago, for example.

Moving on to iOS…

Talking about the history of the iPhone, how it was introduced, the initial licensing that prohibited third-party tools, circa 2007-2009.

Fast-forward to 2012…

Geoff’s friend at Apple called in late 2012 to ask him how he’d support iOS if he could support iOS. The friend liked the answer and Apple soon announced that third-party tools would be allowed.

Last year at this time, iOS was three months along in development. Geoff is showing us where it is a year later…

IDE has image of iPhone or iPad that can be rotated. Similar to designing a window or web page now. When you run in the IDE, it runs through the iOS simulator that Apple provides…

I am guessing that is on MacOSX only due to Apple’s restrictions…

I’ll ask when I get a chance.

But I’m guessing you’re right.

App signing will eventually be built into IDE. Once compiled and signed, can be transferred to an iOS device…

Geoff transfers and runs his demo app on his iPhone. Even supports some gestures, and inadvertently shows off auto-layout. Nice…

Oh, how I wish Geoff had friends at Google in 2009.

Yes, must be on a Mac.

iOS app works the same on iPhone and iPad, handled automatically by the Xojo framework.

Moving on to auto-layout. Integrated into IDE. You set rules for controls and they adjust themselves…

YEAH!!! this will solve many issues. many many issues… especially when dealing with apps in multiple languages.

You can have controls resize around content and size of control x can influence size of control y. Salivating for this. I can tell you that I did something like this manually for RegExRX, and it took a long, long time to get it right.

When will iOS be here? “Last December”. Useful…