WWDC gotchas for Xojo developers?

@Alberto De Poo : applications are supposed to work this way. An app is not an island.

I got those dialogs from Alfred, Default Folder, Dropbox, Acronis and now Xojo. Every app you are going to work with is at least doing to need access to Documents. What is the benefit? NONE.

@Beatrix Willius I agree, too much dialog just make the user click ok without looking. Dialogs should only be shown for something important.

Maybe if one of those apps wants to read a file from Documents that it didn’t create or without me saying open that doc, then show a warning or block the action. But a Dialog just for having access to Documents is nuts.

Edit: Imagine I click ‘don’t allow’ by mistake, the application will not work or I will not be able to save in Documents. And some users may not know where to change that option. Customer service nightmare, the customer will blame my app.

[quote=440075:@Beatrix Willius]@Alberto De Poo : applications are supposed to work this way. An app is not an island.

I got those dialogs from Alfred, Default Folder, Dropbox, Acronis and now Xojo. Every app you are going to work with is at least doing to need access to Documents. What is the benefit? NONE.[/quote]

[quote=440075:@Beatrix Willius]@Alberto De Poo : applications are supposed to work this way. An app is not an island.

I got those dialogs from Alfred, Default Folder, Dropbox, Acronis and now Xojo. Every app you are going to work with is at least doing to need access to Documents. What is the benefit? NONE.[/quote]

Be careful using Xojo on Catalina. I had to wipe it again. Too many issues.

@Sascha S : what issues did you have? I think Catalina ate my Xojo license. I tried to build and Xojo showed me the beachball. Trying again now.

Xojo lingers a long time at the linking stage with the beachball. But the apps are built.

How can I tell more without breaking the NDA? :confused:

@Sascha S : where else should we discuss problems with Catalina?

1. Try to add Folders to Build Copy File Steps
  2. Test in your Build Product every Method which uses a Plugin and Graphic Functions

I won’t give more examples because it all could be related to just my Catalina Installation… :wink:

[quote=440070:@Christian Schmitz]wait for the details.
In the session it sounded reasonable.

e.g. you can write to document folder with our problems. You can read files you wrote.
Just you can’t read random files there.[/quote]

No it does not sound reasonable…

Most of my apps read files from various directories and process teh data in them. The files are written to these places by means I don’t have control over (and could break!) … and there could be MANY files… This saves end users a lot of time… but NOT if they have to confirm each file…

Workflow automation is not like using Excel, Word , media apps or a drawing program!!!

• karen

What I found out today is that you can’t write to the application directory at all without AuthorizationMBS. Since I already have this all fallback solution for my installer this is not a problem. Even checking if a file exists in the application directory fails.

Oh, and AppleMail can’t be scripted at all right now.

@Sascha S [quote=440087:@Sascha S]Try to add Folders to Build Copy File Steps
[/quote]
I can’t (file doesn’t exist, or something similar).

[quote=440070:@Christian Schmitz]wait for the details.
In the session it sounded reasonable.

e.g. you can write to document folder with our problems. You can read files you wrote.
Just you can’t read random files there.[/quote]

Once you say “yes, allow this”, is there a way for macOS (or my app) to remember this and not have to answer all the permissions questions every time the app launches?

Remember folks, be sure to ask these same questions and make the same comments to Apple. We have seen things change based on developer input before …

I would expect this to be stored in the privacy database.
And as said before, the public beta in two months will have a few things changed based on feedback.

@Beatrix Willius I suggest that you get on Apple’s Radar (not their bug reporting program). Contact your local Apple Developer Support team and arrange a meeting. Go to them with your computer and show them your product and the problems that you’re already facing and the problems that their new OS is going to cause you. They need to be aware of your situation. Potentially they’ve already thought of ways that you can utilize to overcome the security killing your product; if not hopefully your feedback will guide them to creating a solution for you.

In addition to “Harddisk access” there is now an additional pane for “Files and folders” where the result of the many dialogs shows up. And those dialogs happen for EVERY $%&/ app. EVERY ONE.

@Sam Rowlands: Apple has a new bug reporter, which isn’t ready for prime time. I managed a few issues. But now I can’t even add attachments to existing issues. Let alone write new ones.

What is a “local Apple Developer Support team”?

Get someone on the phone, and explain to ‘em how you need help because Apple’s making it almost impossible for your app to continue. Don’t take no for an answer. They should be able to make an appointment for you to go sit down and talk to someone.

[quote=439882:@Beatrix Willius]
One step nearer to “your mouse have moved - please confirm”.[/quote]
… hasta la VISTA, baby …

[quote=440075:@Beatrix Willius]

After 30 years in IT I know: users DO NOT READ dialogs. If there are to many things they have to know and decide, they just give up on it.

If Apple is going down this road, they are going to kill personal computing.

But the Security Landscape has changed dramatically in recent years. And while as a Dev I am not happy with all those new “hurdles”, as a user I would be happy knowing the provider of my OS’s is trying everything to protect me. And Apple is really good at selling those changes to their Users as a Security Plus. In fact, all our issues aside, I welcome Apples efforts. :slight_smile: