WWDC gotchas for Xojo developers?

For once, I breathed a sigh of relief after the WWDC keynote: I didn’t spot anything in Apple’s macOS or iOS announcements that looks like it will cause major headaches for developers using Xojo to build macOS or iOS apps.

However, the keynote moved very quickly and some of that kind of stuff (e.g. new security features that add further restrictions for apps, etc) is saved for other presentations at the conference.

Did any of you spot anything that made you think that macOS Catalina or iOS 13 are going to cause any major headaches for us?

hopefully im just being a pessimist…
I imagine IOS darkmode and iPadOS will push any xojo development for Windows, android and Web 2.0 even further into the future.

[quote=439845:@Russ Lunn]hopefully im just being a pessimist…
I imagine IOS darkmode and iPadOS will push any xojo development for Windows, android and Web 2.0 even further into the future.[/quote]

That is something that I’m concerned about, but I think that a large part of the macOS dark mode work was for the IDE. That’s not an issue for dark mode coming to iOS. Xojo iOS projects also don’t contain as many non-OS controls as desktop projects: I’m guessing that making the ListBox play well with dark mode might have been a challenge.

Well, I plan to visit some sessions and see what they have to tell about new permissions to ask user to access some folders, new things for notarization and whatever else may be there.

@Christian Schmitz: that would be great. Such small issues aren’t worth mentioning anymore.

You now have to confirm downloads in Safari. What else could I have meant to do after clicking on a download? That can be deactivated.

But all sorts of apps like Dropbox and Alfred show dialogs of the type “Alfred wants access files in your folder desktop.” . That must have some type of management.

One step nearer to “your mouse have moved - please confirm”.

You can also ask the Apple persons where they hid all the utilities like Activity Viewer, Disk Utility and the like.

Urgh… this is odd. The apps are in /Applications and they are also in System/Applications. The utilities are only in the latter location. Find any File to the rescue.

I bet /System/Applications is part of the read only volume with the system files.

After rebooting again I see the Dienstprogramme folder.

first thing that struck me was how (or if) development for iPhone/iPad would need to change from a design perspective due to the advent of iPadOS as a separate operating system… Be it Swift/ObjC , Xojo or something else… I realize the iPadOS will have iPad specific features, and “pragmas” or something similar will allow you to conditionally compile… but is there going to be something that will make it “more” difficult.

Now we have TWO Apple OS, next there will be THREE

there are indeed watchOS and tvOS too :wink:

true… those I did forget

One big one: the Catalina macOS System (not Library) will be within it’s own volume and will be locked!
Another: a macOS computer with a T2 must be activated else it cannot be used ie like iOS, if your Mac gets stolen, the thief cannot re-use it until they enter the activation key.

Pushing the security envelope.

T2 is a security chip, isn’t it?

Yes, the Secure Enclave that we have no access to.

SwiftUI seems to be very promising for Swift apps. Hopefully Xojo could pick some inspiration here (as in Flutter and al.)
Would be a dream to have something like that x-plat.

[quote=439919:@Philippe Schmid]SwiftUI seems to be very promising for Swift apps. Hopefully Xojo could pick some inspiration here (as in Flutter and al.)
Would be a dream to have something like that x-plat.[/quote]

One big “innovation” of SwiftUI is that you can drag a control onto a window, and the code to generate it is magically created, and you can double-click the control to see the code.

Xojo has been doing that since day zero!

Xojo has been doing that since day zero!
So has Microsoft with VisualStudio. Nice to see Apple finally catch up with everyone else! :slight_smile:

According to this Article (in German):

App Notarization is now required
While one can do this manually with own CodeSigning Scripts or 3rd party tools… a decent IDE should have these features built-in.
So that’s going to be a “ToDo” for Xojo to make our lives easier.

zsh is the default Shell
Better check your Shell Scripts. Or make sure they are explicitly using the Shell you know is working with your commands.

And on the second Page of the Article (in German):
This is the beginning of the End of Objective-C
The new Combine Framework is only available for Swift. No more Objective-C support.

So in the mid/long term we probably want/need a way to use Declares working with Swift. Or the “Xojo Interops (to come)” work with Swift, too.
And (being pessimistic)… in the long term Xojo probably needs to add a new Build Target: “macOS (Swift)” to somewhen replace “macOS (Cocoa)”. So they better start preparing - who knows if that might be the case in 2-3 years. And I’m sure it’ll take quite some time to move the XojoFramework to Swift.

Um… not sure that makes any sense. SWIFT is a language, as is Xojo… where as Cocoa is the underlying iOS framework that both “languages” use…

Now it would be cool if it were possible to write plug-ins or custom controls/methods in Swift and link them into Xojo

Cocoa is the UI kit / framework which is unrelated to the language it was built with
Swift is still “cocoa” just done in Swift