WinUI - The modern native UI platform of Windows

WinUI - The modern native UI platform of Windows

let me guess a simple text input control have 1000 new properties.

OMG passed through my mind at WPF & Universal Windows Platform User Interface. :exploding_head:

Except that WinUI, unlike WPF & WinForms, will be natively usable by Win32 apps (ie/ Xojo apps) where WinForms and WPF are not

Sounds to me like MS is actually trying to consolidate all their UI frameworks so there is one - not the 3 (or more) they have now

Itā€™s the users who decide what UI framework to use. Itā€™s not for MS to decide. Everytime they tried to steer the community anywhere, they failed miserably, see silverlight, see UWP (it took 4 years after release to get a datetimepicker and a numericupdown. I dropped it in horror).
Now they try to force users unify the base of MFC, WPF, Winforms, UWP, after having failed getting momentum to Winforms and WPF in 2018 by opening sources. Community didnā€™t pickup the invitation.
Again, it will be an utter failure, and they will just end up with the 5th incomplete UI framework.

That MS actually made several frameworks was their own ā€¦ silliness ?
IF MS had only ever had Win32 there would be no issue of ā€œchoiceā€ - youā€™d use the UI framework their APIā€™s gave you for native apps.
Period

Much like Apple has one UI framework

If this is MS intent Iā€™m all for it

A own Xojo UI would be much better for multiple OS

no please no

Looks great. But I think it has about 0.001% change to be supported by Xojo. In fact, make that 0%

No idea

I suspect that Xojo not moving to .Net and WinForms / WPF had to do with MS not being clear about what the preferred future UI toolkit would be. And that neither of those supported Win32 applications making any change a monumental task.

They are much more clear about WinUI and it does support Win32.

1 Like

Xojo + Sciter perhaps?

Standards are great. Thats why we have so many of them.

2 Likes

Standards were great. Until we had too many of them. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

The problem with jumping on the early bus with MS on any new technology, or rebranded existing technology is that you could invest huge sums of time only to have MS change their mind for something new and improved 18 months down the road. They have too many UI frameworks now and this is a new one. If it is to consolidate all the others, thatā€™s great but itā€™s not without risk to put time and effort into it that could be lost.

XOJO definitely needs to give Windows some love to utilize the newer features of Windows 10.

Well, first Xojo Inc can wait till this is deployed everywhere, bugs are fixed by Microsoft and then maybe jump in.

2 Likes

This is true of all platforms.

1 Like

AFAICT this is traditionally why WinForms and WPF had not been moved to (never mind that the entire Xojo framework would have to be redone for .Net)
Too many options & too little clarity about long term commitment to a specific UI framework from MS etc etc

Maybe they can stick to it this time ?

IF / when MS sticks to their guns with a UI framework for more than 18 - 24 months :stuck_out_tongue:

If you read the MAUI code, youā€™ll see that it supports TWO MS UI models. WPF and UWP. So, both seems MS the long term vision. MS, in my view, wants WinForms to die, will support it for legacy systems and thatā€™s all. Will not have a huge love. WinUI WAS the UI layer of UWP, so it is also ā€œpartā€ of MAUI. XAML is the descriptive language of the UIs (just a XML full of tags and properties) used in both UWP and WPF.

1 Like

This is precisely why I use Xojo for Windows development. I canā€™t keep up with MS and investing time in a new framework only for it to be obsoleted by the next greatest idea.

I wish Xojo did a better job recruiting Windows developers as there are more advantages than just being cross-platform, which I donā€™t even utilize.

1 Like