Windows Server 2008 Web Issue with missing "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll"

I am trying to recompile a Windows Server Web app that has worked fine with some older versions of Xojo but 2016-1 has a problem with a missing DLL. If you launch the EXE you get a message that this is missing: api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll

The server is Windows 2008.

I have read about Windows stand alone apps and bundling the DLL in the installer.

What is the best way to resolve this on a Web App for Server 2008?


Did you install the Windows Universal Runtime on the Windows 2008 server?

I guess I should have read the Xojo docs about the Windows Universal Runtime. I installed them (both 64 and 32 bit). This missing DLL problem is resolved but I now seems to have a NIL object problem at launch.

Two steps forward and one back.

Maybe check you got the right one:

This Universal Runtime looks like a lot of pain… And has support requests written all over it…

DLL hell is alive & well


Your Server needs the windows update KB2999226.

Best regards

It is safer to use the runtime installer provided by Xojo in the Extras/Windows Runtime/Installers folder. The version there are the comprehensive versions that support all the various supported Windows OS and will install the respective correct files. No need to go to Microsoft website to get the Windows OS specific files. Use the correct files for your app, not the host Windows, i,e, x86 runtime for x86 apps and x64 runtime for x64 apps.

See here for more information on the Xojo provided Windows Runtime installer:

Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 Update 1


Well I just took the URL in the Xojo PDF regarding this little DLL adventure and found the missing stuff. I installed both the 32 and 64 bit versions on the server and it solved the DLL problem. I had a couple of other little “boo boo’s” like deleting an INI configuration file for my application that took a few minutes to track down. I have some System.Debug output in my program and the Microsoft DbgView.exe program helped find the issue on the server pretty quickly.

I am now running my Xojo Web App as 64 bit on the server and it does seem a little quicker.

Thanks for the suggestions.