Windows and Xojo

Amen, brother… Amen…

I’m not sure Xojo could stand the long list of resignations :stuck_out_tongue:

We do have engineers & testers that primarily use Windows for development
And we have many of us that use both to varying degrees

[quote=49087:@Norman Palardy]I’m not sure Xojo could stand the long list of resignations :stuck_out_tongue:

We do have engineers & testers that primarily use Windows for development
And we have many of us that use both to varying degrees[/quote]

I’m not sure the tag is working correctly Norman, try <I shouldn’t say this but></I shouldn’t say this but>

:wink:

If the company has so much contempt and vitriol for Windows and MS why even support it?

I believe its always going to be true that you can create more modern looking apps in the native framework. That doesn’t mean I necessarily believe Xojo should do that. Their tool is designed around having one code base and the same app on all platforms. How would integrating Metro or some of the Windows-look-of-the-day enhance Xojo since it would be useless in any other framework?

Making Xojo interact with and perhaps look like .NET applications is something a third party should tackle. My personal opinion is Xojo should continue focusing on being the common denominator.

Yes, that is 100% true, although sometimes I question how much emphasis they put on the Mac versus Windows (which is really odd considering Windows has 6-8 times the market share that OS X does). Our product that we have sold for 12 years is VB6 based. When we moved to RS/Xojo, there was really only one reason to do so, to pick up the Mac market. If our intention was only to continue building for Windows, it would have been a no-brainer, go to .NET from VB6. Xojo does one thing really well and that is xPlat and that is the big draw. But if one of the two main platforms starts falling behind, that argument goes out the Window.

.net is a common demoninator

Win32 (xojo) is the lowest common denominator.

Wrong on both counts. I mean common denominator between all the platforms, not just Windows.

I believe Windows is a victim of circumstance here as opposed to carelessness by Xojo. The problem at hand was Xojo HAD to deliver a Cocoa based solution or they might as well have dropped Mac completely given enough time and Apple changes.

This is a situation where Microsoft’s commitment to backwards compatibility again discourages people from changing their tools or applications.

It’s easy to be upset that Windows has fallen behind but the apps still function. If you want the cream of the Windows crop you have to use their tools. If you want the same app to run everywhere you have to make some trade offs.

Note the SARCASM tags ?

Certainly, and that is why I am here. I have no doubt that how big the Cocoa project turned out has affected a lot of decisions. It’s just been my experience after 4 years of using RS/Xojo that Windows plays second banana to the Mac. I don’t get the feeling that the two platforms are treated the same. I’m OK with that, I know that up front, but if I were faced with needing to produce a really modern Windows-only application, Xojo wouldn’t be on the short list of tools to look at. That is just not what it brings to the table.

To be honest, the entire computing world is splintering all over the place. Hard to place blame on anyone or any tool set for being able to stay in front of this tsunami of change. I’m perfectly willing to give up some ground in the “modern looks” department to be able to build for multiple platforms from a single code base with a minimal amount of conditional compile directives.

Market share ? where you make money (iOS vs Android is an excellent example where Apple makes the vast majority of all mobile profits despite not being the market share leader)

For us it’s about a 50 / 50 split between OS X & Windows

,Net wasn’t “common denominator” for a very long time
XP not coming with it preinstalled was / is a bit of an impediment - you would really have HAD to have an installer to set up your app + .Net and there is/was a lot of resistance to using installers

Vista on up comes with it preinstalled so thats a bonus - hence why a .Net framework is something on our TO DO list
But as mentioned we HAD to do something on OS X as Apple changed gears on their commitment to Carbon a while back & have been making good on it. We HAD to move to Cocoa. Windows has no similar MUST DO NOW impetus - but that does to mean it’s not a priority.

Reality though is you can only have so many Priority 1 priorities or you turn into one of my old VP’s who decided that since we had so many “priority 1 do it now” priorities that we needed new priority 0 ones which meant “do it yesterday” or something :stuck_out_tongue:

And that might have something to do with the Mac getting most of the attention. If Xojo was built on .NET, and cranked out really modern looking Windows apps, I suspect the numbers would be different for you. Unless you need to do xPlat, there just isn’t enough compelling reasons for Windows developers to move to Xojo giving that it is still based on Win32.

I am not sure the user who wants latest and greatest Windows features without cross platform is their ideal or target market. More customers is not always a good thing.

Yes, that begs the question why they do? There are so many on here that complain about Xojo (window flicker window flicker window flicker) and that they have paid for it and aren’t happy. Don’t they try the free demo? Wasn’t it a poor move to shift all their business to Xojo without trying it out. I mean come on…

I understand the resources allocated to the Cocoa update, that was a major undertaking. I don’t care because I don’t develop for Mac. But Personally, I would have rather have them choose one; WE OR iOS, but not both. They could have then thrown the resources of the other onto Windows as it needs help.

WE, done properly could have been a cross platform webrowser solution for people to develop for iOS using their browser, in addition to all the Android devices and tablets. Sure it is not native but we all agree we can’t be all things to all people.

Rarely are these decisions binary. Many people came over from VB6 and RealBasic was a fantastic option. People invested time and money, many including myself have been a customer for many years. As time went on the resources were allocated more toward Mac and Windows needs some attention. Now you have people who invested time, resources, knowledge and have some issues.

I still love it, but I can certainly see the point and the issues that need some resource allocation. Given the current “project list” things look a “little constrained” - that is my concern.

Given the option of more customers or less customers - I’ll take more. Always. :slight_smile:

I chose Xojo because it was the best business decision at the time, and it continues to be an excellent choice. I may complain from time to time, but I’m not at all sorry I made the decision. Fortunately, most Windows applications, especially enterprise ones, are but-ugly, so I’m not overly concerned at this point about producing the prettiest app possible. As long as I can make my clients more productive and more efficient (and make them more money), they don’t really care what the app looks like.

That’s a pretty good point. I like Windows apps because I can (at least up to this point) count on the darn things running 10 years later, and I think they work very well from a productivity standpoint. But rarely is the case that I think a Windows app is just drop dead gorgeous. In that area, the Mac really has the upper hand.