Windows and OS X Saving Whitespace Differently?

I’m on OS X, a co-worker on Windows. Working on the same project, we are always tripping over each other with Git. We always have massive changes, it seems that OS X saves files with blank lines padded out with Tabs up to the method name, then two spaces but Windows saves empty lines w/no padding what-so-ever, i.e. just a
. I prefer the Windows way of doing it, but both platforms doing something different is making a real mess in our VCS system.

Can anyone else confirm this?

It seems to happen only inside of methods, not inbetween items such as

[code]#tag EndEvent

#tag Event[/code]

That will be a blank line, no whitespace, just a
. But,

[code]
#tag Event
Sub Connected()
System.DebugLog(“Hello World”)

System.DebugLog("Bye")
            EndSub
    #tag EndEvent[/code]

is where the problem lies. The code between Hello World and Bye will contain 2 tabs, 2 spaces and then a newline on OS X but only a newline on Windows.

[quote=21084:@Jeremy Cowgar]I’m on OS X, a co-worker on Windows. Working on the same project, we are always tripping over each other with Git. We always have massive changes, it seems that OS X saves files with blank lines padded out with Tabs up to the method name, then two spaces but Windows saves empty lines w/no padding what-so-ever, i.e. just a
. I prefer the Windows way of doing it, but both platforms doing something different is making a real mess in our VCS system.

Can anyone else confirm this?

It seems to happen only inside of methods, not inbetween items such as

[code]#tag EndEvent

#tag Event[/code]

That will be a blank line, no whitespace, just a
. But,

[code]
#tag Event
Sub Connected()
System.DebugLog(“Hello World”)

System.DebugLog("Bye")
            EndSub
    #tag EndEvent[/code]

is where the problem lies. The code between Hello World and Bye will contain 2 tabs, 2 spaces and then a newline on OS X but only a newline on Windows.[/quote]

I’m only setting up SVN repositories, but I guess it’s the same for Git.

Is it not possible to do this as explained her: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2332349/best-practices-for-cross-platform-git-config

or https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings

It’s not line endings, the line endings are being translated properly and not causing any SCM issues. It’s the fact that on OS X, a line will be "\t\t
" vs. on Windows it will be "
". So it is a whitespace issue and more importantly, a difference in the way files are handled from one platform to another. If others can confirm this, then it is a bug that should be fixed in Xojo.

Can’t imagine how since we use the exact same code on OS X & windows for this

We use SVN with the IDE project between OS X Windows & Linux & we will sometimes see line ending changes

But not tabs & spaces like you describe

[quote=21110:@Norman Palardy]Can’t imagine how since we use the exact same code on OS X & windows for this

We use SVN with the IDE project between OS X Windows & Linux & we will sometimes see line ending changes

But not tabs & spaces like you describe[/quote]

I’ll try to duplicate on my own flipping back and forth between my virtual machine w/a sample project.

If you do find anything definitely report it - if it’s our bug.
I know that early on when we didn’t have svn set to translate line endings to native that caused no end of tiny changes but now we rarely have those kinds of issues.