Windows 10 for pi

http://mobile.geek.com/latest/257599-windows-10-for-raspberry-pi-now-available-for-free

Is it possible to make aps for this even it does not have gui?

Jukka

[quote=205994:@Jukka Leino]http://mobile.geek.com/latest/257599-windows-10-for-raspberry-pi-now-available-for-free

Is it possible to make aps for this even it does not have gui?

Jukka[/quote]

even though WHAT doesn’t have a GUI?
GUI is the graphical user interface, created BY Windows, and displayed on the MONITOR…

So I don’t understand your question

no
pi uses a non-intel architecture

And YES in direct answer to the question… It IS possible to make apps, just not with Xojo (at this time)

Implicit in most questions on this forum is “can I do this in xojo” :slight_smile:

and my answer was incorrect anyways… after reading the article… it seems the PI Win10 has no gui…or so it implied

Xojo hasn’t announced any support for Windows 10 on Pi
There are a number of requirements
That requires Universal app support
Windows 10 on pi also has no shell (no explorer, no start menu, no desktop etc)
It can only run a single Universal app

[quote=206007:@Norman Palardy]Xojo hasn’t announced any support for Windows 10 on Pi
There are a number of requirements
That requires Universal app support
Windows 10 on pi also has no shell (no explorer, no start menu, no desktop etc)
It can only run a single Universal app[/quote]

They should have called it Dos 10 :wink:

MS does seem to be making moves to try & get people to continue using Windows in as many areas as they can because this hasn’t been the case
Pi isn’t a “windows world”
Nor is mobile

So MS has Windows 10 for Pi to maybe get some traction - no idea if it will succeed or not.
They released their project to port iOS / OS X apps to Windows 10 to try & attract iOS / OS X devs to move their apps to Windows 10
Just seems … desperate (? not sure thats the right word) but certainly “trying to stay relevant” in a world that has skipped Windows in many ways
Not like they’re going to dry up and go away but certainly not be the “market leader” they once were

[quote=206015:@Norman Palardy]They released their project to port iOS / OS X apps to Windows 10 to try & attract iOS / OS X devs to move their apps to Windows 10
Just seems … desperate (? not sure thats the right word) but certainly “trying to stay relevant” in a world that has skipped Windows in many ways[/quote]

I am following very closely the Bridges project, in particular the Millennium bridge which is supposed to let Desktop apps execute within a Modern API UWP environment.

I signed up for the bridge beta program back in May I think, no news since. I am not alone ; people report the same in the Msdn forums. Seems they overhyped themselves on this one.

They admitted Windows 10 for mobile is not quite here yet. And it is the same for XBox. So, in short, they have just issued a new version of PC Windows :wink:

Lets just say that the current incarnation of the Bridge for iOS is interesting - incomplete & messy.
It links to a bunch of third party stuff that they dont then use very well like ICU.
I expect it will evolve but how long that will take is anyones guess.
Not sure that it would get you far at the moment porting an app

[quote=206030:@Norman Palardy]Lets just say that the current incarnation of the Bridge for iOS is interesting - incomplete & messy.
It links to a bunch of third party stuff that they dont then use very well like ICU.
I expect it will evolve but how long that will take is anyones guess.
Not sure that it would get you far at the moment porting an app[/quote]

Maybe faster to rewrite the app :wink:

As far as desktop is concerned, I was in the process of getting my app listed under the older terms for desktop apps when they announced Bridge.

What is real wrong is that the Windows 10 store will not accept listing of Desktop apps as Windows 8 & 8.1 did. IN fact, existing Desktop listings will not show in the Windows 10 app Store. So it is bridge or the freeway. Whenever that mess be available.

MS is just switching feet :slight_smile: