Windows 10 creator - less/no flickering

So, you do not suffer from Cortana speech (after the last reboot from the Creators Update) ? A real horror !

Never tried (and will not use) Cortana. :slight_smile:

I suggest that you download (for free) and use O&O ShutUp10. This application will help you kill notifications, shut Cortana down, reduce dramatically the calling home that Windoes 10 does.

Cortana stopped bothering me since I discovered this application. (who needs Cortana, Siri or other such resource hogging intrusive and generally useless app?) Nor do I get any of the “useful suggestions” from Microsoft. You can reduce all this cr@p manually yourself, but it is so much easier with ShutUp10. The application will revert the changes that it makes, should you prefer to return to the intrusive behavior of Windows 10.

Thanks for the tip.

I do not know how Cortana was fired (run by itself or an error of mine)…

I was lucky to understand how to disconnect it, but it was a hard to find / easy to forgot task.

This recalls me the talking Finder back in the early 90’s (1990 or 1991)… fun to demonstrate… once. Never used it otherwise.

Cortana is launched at the start of Windows. It is designed to “enhance” pretty much all that you do with Windows. So, it is basically always in the way. With the Creators Update, it is even driving the upgrade process, unless you already disabled it as I did months ago.

What I dislike especially with these digital assistants (Siri, Cortana, Bixby et al.) is that they take over much of the computing experience, directing them to company own resources and data. You get to see what the Company wants. They enslave you further to the Company. I can search myself and decide for myself what’s good for me. I can learn to use my OS, no need to lobotomize me. Thank you ________. (fill in the blank with Apple, Microsoft, Samsung)

Cortana is a catastrophe. It may very well be a very nice voice assistant for impaired people, but it does impair me.

As for search capabilities, give me a break.

Don’t actually have any flickering in Windows 10 on anything in Xojo… Wonder if it is because my video card is a GTX 970M…

What was everyone mainly getting the flicker, etc… on?

Just in the iDE, or actual compiled apps?

I know one things I am not sure of… One time Xojo will open right up, next time it takes forever… which seems to just be random.

All SSD drives, i7, 16GB Memory, GTX970M

It is on an MSI Dominator GT 72 laptop…

Flicker often results from stacking controls or drawing in the window Paint. All sorts of things that don’t flicker a single bit in Mac.

Very often, people who had developed an app in Mac try compiling on Windows and scream in horror.

That said, it is true that Windows 10 somewhat reduces flicker, and a fast graphic card probably helps.