Windows 10 creator - less/no flickering

I updated to Windows 10 Creator (latest version) and behold:
Did anyone else noticed there is less (even none) flickering going on for Xojo apps? :slight_smile:
It seems everything is now double buffered.

BTW working on a Surface Book i5

[quote=326057:@Christoph De Vocht]Did anyone else noticed there is less (even none) flickering going on for Xojo apps? :slight_smile:
It seems everything is now double buffered[/quote]
Hello Christoph,

Yes, my Surface Book i7 was upgraded to Windows 10 Creator and there is a very noticeable increase in performance. There is much less flickering with the Xojo IDE than before. Refresh fps rates on no-mouse-movement OpenGL are also faster.

New statistics for running OpenGL in Xojo with the demonstration program in the previous threadplea-for-a-pragma-disablethreadaccessinguiexception are:

Computer No Mouse Movement (fps) Mouse Movement (fps) Surface Book (VGA) 2200-2400 2500-2800 (same)

Old statistics for running OpenGL in Xojo with a demonstration program were:

Computer No Mouse Movement (fps) Mouse Movement (fps) Surface Book (VGA) 1700-1900 2500-2800 Mac Mini (Late 2009) 50-61 56-61 Mac Mini (Late 2012) 60 61 ASUS 1000-2300 3100-3300 Surface Pro I 900-1400 1300-1500

Looking into this deeper. There is really a huge difference. Even an older app I made had a lot of flickering (dozen of canvas controls with a lot of painting). Running the same in Win10 Creator has none flickering (yes, you read this correctly, none !).
Even scaling the window very fast doesn’t introduce any flickering at all.

I would almost say this new Windows version is great. :slight_smile:

Are you able to see a difference in any of the example programs included with Xojo? If so, which ones.

Copying a Windows 10 VM so I can do side by side comparisons. If it holds up to peer review this could be big for the Windows world!

Unless the VMs are under Windows, you will not see the less flickering effect reported by Christoph on a Mac.

I don’t run a VM with Windows on my Macs. For Windows I only use my Surface Book.

Which example do you want me to test that showcases flickering?

BTW - Parallels needs to be updated to version 12 to be compatible with Win10 Creator.

Xojo.exe :smiley:

No seriously, resize the main window so you have a vertical scrollbar on the inspector and scroll it up and down. Do you see it like this? Or smoother?

Give this project a try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sij0dccfkynt303/ScollTestFlickerFix.xojo_binary_project?dl=1

Try it with the checkbox disabled, do you see the controls vanish as you scroll the bar? Like this:

Then try with the checkbox on, do you see the Radio button disappear like this:

It would be SO nice if MS would just get to a full double buffered fully composited drawing model like OS X uses for ALL supported API’s (Win32, .Net etc etc)

[quote=326156:@]Give this project a try:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sij0dccfkynt303/ScollTestFlickerFix.xojo_binary_project?dl=1 [/quote]
Julian,

The demo program’s executable seems to show the same flickering issues with the controls on my system with Windows 10 Creator. I couldn’t see any improved or worse performance.

[quote=326156:@]Give this project a try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sij0dccfkynt303/ScollTestFlickerFix.xojo_binary_project?dl=1 [/quote]

I am getting the following error:
This item does not exists
OS_CODE=Val(ever.Mid(3,1))

[quote=326162:@Christoph De Vocht]I am getting the following error:
This item does not exists
OS_CODE=Val(ever.Mid(3,1))[/quote]

Odd, that code should only compile in if you’re running on macos (see the #If TargetMacOS a few lines above.

That code is borrowed from the fourmI’ve never tested it in Macos.

You can comment out all the lines in App.Open and this should fix the problem.

[quote=326161:@Eugene Dakin]Julian,

The demo program’s executable seems to show the same flickering issues with the controls on my system with Windows 10 Creator. I couldn’t see any improved or worse performance.[/quote]

Thanks Eugene, as I expected, but I’m still :frowning: as I had my fingers crossed.

Until Xojo renders the controls in the right order in windows (back to front), you’ll have a really hard time eliminating flicker and pass through. The more Xojo code to fix the ordering the more problems will crop up and the slower the UI will get, and the more flicker that will be introduced.

RegExRX running under Windows 10 Creators does not flicker at all. This was never true before, so I’m quite pleased.

I am almost ready to load Creator on my Windows Laptop based on the comments yall have announced/said above.

almost.

maybe in a week or so. dont want to break the windows laptop.

Well, almost :wink:
Windows 10 Creators Update + Nvidia Popup on Lock Screen + Links Open in Chrome = No Passwords Required
https://www.reddit.com/r/softwaregore/comments/64s4m0/windows_10_creators_update_nvidia_popup_on_lock/

Try OS X which IS fully double buffered and composited at the OS level
It just works and does the right thing and you have to work VERY hard to make it flicker

IF MS could just do that then everyone would get it for free by updating to whatever version of Windows this shipped in (which is what happened on OS X)

Given how Win32 works I doubt this can / will ever happen as they’d break a lot of legacy code