Window skips OPEN event

I have a window that is activated by the command

myWindow.showModal

in the action event of a button

myWindow is a “Modal Dialog”, and all of a sudden the OPEN event never fires. This is where various controls are enabled/disabled, visible/hidden etc based on what the current app status is.

I put a break point on the first line, and a few lines within the event and it never stops

What possibly could cause this to occur …

I’ve seen this in the past, pop a break in after the myWindow.showModal and see if it stops on the modal?

No it doesn’t
This window is called (shown) from 3 places… I placed a BREAK after each one.
Those breaks never hit… even though the window shows
There is a CANCEL button on the window which causes the window to close (self.close / return )
there is a “SAVE” button… that "saves the data ; self.close / return )…but what happens here is the SAVE button vanishes, and the window stays… and it seems to freeze as the Cancel button now no longer works

What is strange is that a few days ago, this window worked perfectly, and hasn’t been changed since

I have also reduced the OPEN event to just “BREAK” and still nothing

Oh… and the Constructor never fires either… not that I use it… but as a test I checked.

Activate however DOES

well as a BAND-AID … i used a status flag and moved things to the ACTIVATE

But I would still love to know what possibly could cause this… it very annoying, and if I can keep it from happeneing in the future, that would be great

[quote=455764:@Dave S]Oh… and the Constructor never fires either… not that I use it… but as a test I checked.

Activate however DOES[/quote]
Just out of curiosity, how are you initializing MyWindow? Did you turn on Implicit Instance recently?

is always on as default

same as all other windows in the app

[quote=455768:@Dave S]is always on as default

same as all other windows in the app[/quote]
And if you turn that off and create one from scratch, do the constructor and open events fire then?

really didn’t want to go thru an re-engineering effort, when it did and should work

I was only asking that you test it. In that same method where you call ShowModal, just Comment your current call and do this:

Dim zzz as new MyWindow Zzz.ShowModal

Ok… I’m in the Twilight Zone here now.
There is a method that is being called… and I have a BREAKPOINT on EVERY SINGLE reference

[quote=455771:@Greg O’Lone]I was only asking that you test it. In that same method where you call ShowModal, just Comment your current call and do this:

Dim zzz as new MyWindow Zzz.ShowModal[/quote]

I replaced all the instances of

editWindow.showmodal

with

showEditWindow

and added

Public Sub showEditWindow()
  //editWINDOW.ShowModal
  Dim newWindow As NEW editWINDOW // had to add NEW
  newWindow.ShowModal
End Sub

and it still calls that one method taht is breakpointed

I’m really trying to drag this out of my memory here, I saw this helping someone over a year go. Maybe make sure you dont have a global property in your project somewhere that has the same name as myWindow

just checked… I don’t

Do you have doevents anywhere in your project?

no

this is getting really wierd…

now is is ignoring “some” breakpoints.
It I call this particular window… the app won’t quit (I checked there are no remaining open windows)
but even so, I have to issue a close for the MAIN window specifically in the APP cancelClose

there is “something” strange here (play Twilight Zone theme)

Do you want to zip it and send it over or screen share and walk through it?

It is a very large app… and only on Mac right now…

FYI… it DOES CALL the proper events ON WINDOWS!

What Xojo version? Just out of curiosity and fear. :smiley:

2019r1.1 64bit

all tests seem to work just fine for Windows… for macOS not so much

But here is something … I tried macOS for 32bit and got an error that I did NOT get in 64bit

XOJCanvaas documentview] unrecognized selector set to instance 0x2013380