Why is 2023R3 IDE sooooo sloooow on Windows 10

Hello all,

Am I the only one who is suffering from extremely slow IDE? It cannot keep up with drags on web pages, the selection is almost always off with either objects on the form or selecting an item from the Navigator.
Tim

I’m not seeing this on my dev pc (i5 16GB RAM), and I’m always running other apps such as Outlook, Edge, Zoom etc. My A/V solutions are Acronis & Webroot.

Hi Wayne

Mine is i7, 16G RAM Win 10 home.

2023R2 does not exhibit this problem at all…

Tim

Definitely slower :man_facepalming:t2:

In my PC ide block itself when “loading framework”

It has always been painfully slow for me on Windows. I’m on a Threadripper 5975WX with 256gb of ram so performance “should” be top notch. But the window designer has always been nearly unusable on Windows for me (takes 3-5 seconds to select an item, etc) so I ended up getting an M2 Mac Studio and do most of my development there now.

Xojo seems to have always been handicapped when working with windows (forms) on Windows. This slowing aspect seems to be from the way in which Xojo attempts to work with forms and possibly background refreshing of the IDE.

I wrote about this when attempting to optimize Game Loops, and the performance was poor. I took this issue much further by implementing a better way to draw a window that had minimal hooks in Xojo by creating a plugin that specifically handles Windows form calls properly using OpenGL GFLW. Drawing performance significantly increased, graphic stuttering stopped, refreshing speed was stable, and background code refreshed quickly.

Maybe its time for Xojo to look further at optimizing form drawing calls in the IDE?

6 Likes

If then can stop making the “It is the OS fault”, maybe.

Hello all,

Thank you for your replies! So, it seems that there is no way to make it faster…
That really bites!

Maybe they can do some work to make it a bit faster and not so choppy. It is really annoying and time consuming. Even compiling has become a chore - much slower…

Tim

I just updated to R3 (Mac OS Sonoma) and yes… unbelievably, painfully slow!! This is on a brand new Mac Studio w/ an M2 Max processor and 32 GB RAM.

Both starting up and opening an existing project. I installed it 30 minutes ago and have yet to successfully open an existing project. Here’s a video of the startup time and trying to launch a project that loads forever. I have to force quit the app as it’s completely unresponsive. :frowning:

I recorded a video (which I can’t upload), but the startup time just for getting to the recent project dialog is roughly 70 seconds!

I wonder what is the difference with this:

Maybe they are not using Sonoma yet? (I don’t and I don’t feel it slower)

Edit: as this topic says Windows 10 on the title, maybe we can talk about Sonoma and R3 in another thread?