Why does the IDE look like a Mac?

[quote=26051:@Norman Palardy]
That said we’re aware the IDE looks “too Mac” on Windows & Linux and are actively working on this.[/quote]

Obviously I will have to take whatever Xojo give me IDE wise. However since the major advantage of Xojo is cross platform development I think it is big advantage for the developer to have a consistent UI in the IDE across the Mac/Windows/Linux platforms. I can understand that some of the 1000s of Windows users (me included) may look at it and think ‘that is not very Windows like’ but when I switch to a Mac or Linux it still makes sense.

Emile’s comments are relevant, we need to make cross platform applications that look right on that platform because the majority of the users will only be using that platform but we Xojo users are in a different position because we need to switch platforms regularly to develop and test the applications and for that reason a consistent look and feel is an advantage to us.

I can understand that Xojo may want to attract bigger numbers of users from the Window world and may believe that the look and feel is a negative selling point. However I can’t wait (well I can actually because I would prefer that Xojo didn’t do it) to see the feedback that you will get when the Mac Xojo users have to use a different look and feel to develop and test on Windows and the Windows users have to use a different look and feel to develop and test on a Mac. My prediction - It is going to be horrible for everyone!

and the other things is you probably need different user guides etc for all the different platform, because they look totally different.

About the User’s Guides:

in that cases, I think it makes sense to have the platform look and feel.

Better: we can saw the look and feel for the other platforms if each platform have his own screen shots (same text + notes on how it will be on other platforms when relevant).

I think at User’s Guide: books who follows the platform GUI AND inform its reader of the differences on the other platforms (and with advices); User’s Guide XPlatform That Really Rocks !

Yes, I was dreaming lately. But: isn’t Cross-Platform Xojo main advantage ?

[quote=26260:@Emile Schwarz]About the User’s Guides:
in that cases, I think it makes sense to have the platform look and feel.[/quote]

I think the most sensible compromise Xojo could do is to mix’n match platform screenshots in instructions. Having several User’s Guides where the only thing different is the chrome around the windows makes no sense (I’m actually in favor of removing the window chrome and leaving only the window contents in screenshots for manuals and guides, or replacing it by a custom window style that isn’t identifiable with any platform.

Platform-specific screenshots can’t be avoided for platform-specific functionality, but they’re really unnecessary for everything else.

[quote=26260:@Emile Schwarz]I think at User’s Guide: books who follows the platform GUI AND inform its reader of the differences on the other platforms (and with advices); User’s Guide XPlatform That Really Rocks !

Yes, I was dreaming lately. But: isn’t Cross-Platform Xojo main advantage ?[/quote]

Having the guide mentioning small differences in text is enough to me, as long as they’re easily identifiable and clear, not hidden. Xojo’s cross-platform is one of its main advantages, but differences are unavoidable (shortcuts reserved by the OS, specific functionality not existing in all platforms, etc.).

VS 2013? They’re “Metroing” it up so more people will slowly get use to the Metro interface. Doesn’t take long to understand where they are going with it and how to march through it.