Why does Installer Package need Documents folder permission and uses last run location?

When I run a Package created by AppWrapper, it runs normally, welcomes me to the Installer, checks where I want to install the application (Drive only, not folder location), asks me for permission to run, asks me for permission to access to the Documents folder, validates, then tells me the installation was successful. The new application is not always installed in the Applications folder, but wherever my application was last run.

1. Why does the Installer Package need access to the Documents folder?
  2. Is there any way to force the Installer Package to use the Applications folder?

Is Documents where it was last run?

• Is there any way to force the Installer Package to use the Applications folder?

Apparently not. It will even install into Trash if the app has been moved there.
You need to drag to trash and empty the trash, then it will default to Applications.

Someone at Apple thinks it’s a good idea.
I guess ‘replace existing app wherever you put it’ might make sense, but ‘even if it is in the bin’ is plain bonkers

1 Like

Sometimes it is a lack of testing (or ideas to do tests)…

Try to rename a set of files and fix a start value. If you select all (Cmd-A), all is OK (most of the times).

If you select the files with the mouse from bottom to top, the counter increase from bottom to top… and if you clicked in the window where the files to rename resides to make it frontmost and by hazard you select a file in the process… ou la la; the counter will do strange things… ++ (and more bugs there…)

Totally hatstand.

1 Like