Why are Windows ARM builds not on the roadmap?

Has “Modern UI for Windows 11” just been added to the RoadMap?

Evidently. I don’t recall seeing it there yesterday when looking up a link to the roadmap for an earlier reply in this thread.

Yes, this was just added. I think it was yesterday, though it may have been Friday, on the heels of MS announcement about unifying the UI frameworks in Windows 11.

1 Like

Recent relevant discussion:
https://forum.xojo.com/t/win-10-emulation-on-m1-mac/64108

1 Like

I’m surprised it went in at number 6, and left Android at number 5. Let’s face it Android on Xojo has been delayed so much and the publicity stunt of putting it at number 1, doing a blog to highlight it at number 1 and then dropping it to number 5 is a great example of why the whole roadmap is pointless, not even mentioning the lack of timescales.

1 Like

Of course not. I was just saying that to make fun :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dismissive discourse is not constructive…

1 Like

32 bits.

The order in the list is not necessarily the order of delivery.
And multiple things are in work in parallel by different developers.

Xojo need to scrap the numbering then as the roadmap is even more pointless with irrelevant numbers and no timescales

1 Like

From the Roadmap page:

Below is a highly summarized version of the big feature items on our roadmap. The order below is the order in which we currently believe we will deliver these features. Features are often developed concurrently by the Xojo team. Thus an individual release will sometimes ship with multiple features from this list. This roadmap only includes large features that we are ready to discuss publicly.

1 Like

Android isn’t going to stop the rest of the engineers working on stuff, if they are going to complete before Android is ready then it jumps in front. As Anthony points out above, its there in black and white (or inverted if you’re in dark mode)

As far I’ve heard, the Android team is Paul and Travis, but I certainly might not have all of the information.

I think it’s also important to note, in regards to the roadmap, that just because a number moves down the list doesn’t mean it’s going to take longer than they believed when it was added to the roadmap. It could simply be that the things added or moved above it are progressing faster than planned.

2 Likes

Ahh it was just a guess :slight_smile: Sorry Paul :smiley:

Interops for iOS were originally announced to release for Q4 2017 at the 2016 XDC. And now 5 years later they remain at the bottom of the list with no progress. So its hard to believe that something being low on the list means its not going to take any longer.

https://www.bkeeneybriefs.com/2016/10/xdc-news-2017-roadmap/

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d say that was pushed back because Android had such overwhelming support as a new target, so Xojo had to reevaluate iOS implementation. Then there was the Xojo.framework that iOS originally used and everyone hated, so that had to be pulled out. Both of those things together required a rework of iOS and kicked the interops can down the road a bit, I’m sure. We got what we asked for.

1 Like

lol, not at the bottom. That place is for the “Plugins made in Xojo”, that wer suposed to be in Second / Third Quarter of 2017 (Same link)

Weird move! decide to NOT release something that suposedly was just a few monts of work ahead to deliver something that will require 5 years! Who asked for that? :rofl:

Even if the implementation of the interops requiere a rewrite for the mistake of the hated New framework, users would have YEARS of interops with it.

You are talking about a serious lack of Priority Scheduling in the company.

6 Likes

Neither of us knows what was necessary, what was decided, or how the user-base’s pressure changed the work on any of the mobile target development efforts. Neither of us had to make those decisions.

1 Like

Interops would have been extremely important, would it not have been from Jason King’s and others patient efforts at providing declares.

But declares for iOS are not that far from macOS declares, and Apple’s literature is fairly well done to provide clear instructions.

I am a bit worried for Android. I do hope API 2.00 implementation will be fairly complete. But since we have been told Xojo will not be written in Java, unlike Android Studio, declares may be more complex to come up with. In that context, Interops would be even more critical for big projects.

Not saying interops aren’t important, just sharing why I think it hasn’t been released yet.