Why are build settings in the Navigator

Just out of interest, why are the build settings in the navigator? Do we really need access to them that regularly that they need to be contributing to the clutter of the Navigator?

I like the new IDE and don’t hate the navigator but just suddenly thought why have the build settings there?

I agree. Xojo should keep all app information, build settings, etc on a screen when you click on “App” in the navigator, sorta of like Xcode when you click on your project in Xcode.

Xojo should also implement the concept of multiple “Apps” inside the navigator. To deal with this, Xojo would have to rename “App” to the project name.

I would also like to see the “save on run” ability added as well, as other IDEs (VS, Xcode, etc) do this by default.

[quote=55893:@Shane Gibbs]I agree. Xojo should keep all app information, build settings, etc on a screen when you click on “App” in the navigator, sorta of like Xcode when you click on your project in Xcode.
[/quote]
Used to be that way & new users never found those settings :stuck_out_tongue:

Rename “App” anything you want currently - its not critical it be named App (although many mistakenly assume that it is)

Producing multiple products from one project is something we’ve thought about.
It’s plausible but not real high on the priority list as it’s not a small undertaking to make happen.

But one wouldn’t expect new users to be building right away anyway. Aren’t there lots of things new users can’t find right away that aren’t in the navigator? With respect that seems a very odd reason.

Its far from the only reason

Things like build scripting etc are more widely available & that is something that needs to be up front & not tucked away.
So amalgamating all the build settings & scripting into one place made sense (in 2012 & earlier you had build scripting in the project list & settings elsewhere which didn’t make much sense)

And you CAN hide the entire group if you want leaving only the group header visible :slight_smile:
See http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2013/11/the-ide---did-you-know.php

Talking about did you know:

I added around 20 Properties to a project yesterday and found that I’ve made a mistake: I placed them in App instead in the window that need and use them (and only there).

When I discover that I was a bit angry.

Then, in the Navigator, I selected all these properties (from App) and drag ‘n’ drop them into the window I will use them:

Youpee !

It worked !

Eureka !

Thanks Xojo for that one.