Who's shipping 64bit?

64bit support is ‘beta’ at the moment.
The notes say if you find no problems, you may as well ship a 64bit build.
I’m cautious about shipping a 64 bit build because when the inevitable bug appears, it’s impossible to debug properly (and I know about inserting debugging statements in the app itself)

Straw poll:
How many have taken the plunge and shipped a release product in 64 bit?

We have not. 64-bit is “beta” although it is part of the GA release of Xojo. We are going to wait til a few more releases before doing 64-bit releases. I have tested some of our apps in 64-bit and see no reason not to ship. I (and I should say we) are a little gun shy about shipping with toolkit/language/feature/etc that is 1.0. We like to see what bugs shake out after the 1.0 release.

Until Xojo itself ships as 64 bit I’m not making any plans to ship my (or client) apps as 64 bit. It’s a major pain to debug in 64 bit, as you know, so I’ll just wait.

yeah that too!

On first sight my software runs without problems in 64 Bit… showstopper in Windows is the missing app icon so far. But as Bob stated, better wait till Xojo drops the beta tag. I do not want to see my customers as beta-testers.

a) Debugger
b) DataGrid
c) MacOS Lib

The second one will be a pain in the lower back to replace. The third one most likely, too.

[quote=235693:@Beatrix Willius]a) Debugger
b) DataGrid
c) MacOS Lib

The second one will be a pain in the lower back to replace. The third one most likely, too.[/quote]

“C” has lots of things that need to be updated for 64bit and I dont know of anyone that is currently looking at it nor addressing it.

I ship more then 1 64Bit App to the Mac App Store. Mostly because of the need of NSSharingServices Support.

So… where is the “64bit” switch?

nevermind :slight_smile: I found it

Ok… but when I select it… it turns OFF the RUN command?

Build Settings -> OS X

Correct, you can only build 64 bit apps. You can’t run them in the debugger.

So I guess that is why people are complaining they have to “guess” when a 64bit issue raises its ugly head :slight_smile:

Indeed.
I ran a 64 bit build past my ‘best customers’ and haven’t heard any complaints, but Im twitchy.
If a bug appears that is 64bit only, then its a bit of a let down taking them back to 32 bit. And a major hassle trying work out where the problem is.
(I ran into one issue with one of the MBSPlugins but Christian had fixed it 2 days before I reported it. Huzzah! Nothing else so far)

Well, there’s the debugging issue, but I think some people have had issues with the 64 bit build failing for reasons that’s aren’t very clear too.

All of my commercial OS X apps are running 64bit fine. I had to tweak and change a lot of declares but they are running very stable now.
And to be more precise : none of my apps are ‘simple’ small projects.

That said, my Windows apps are still 32bit. But to be honest I didn’t dig into this and see if they are working when compiled to 64bit.

I am amazed. I remember these posts a while ago where people aid the absence of 64 bit was a showstopper… Strange how some pray for something, and when it is here, it seems to become less mandatory. I am surprised not to see any post by developers of Web, as a quite a lot of Unix hosts no longer support 32 bit.

A workaround has been posted in https://forum.xojo.com/28368-64-bit-app-icon-doesn-t-display-in-windows-10

Windows, even 10, comes in 32 bit as well. So unlike Mac OS X, you cannot expect 64 bit to run on all machines. That is a tricky proposition. To make sure the app works flawlessly requires setting up the installer to pick the 64 bit executable only when the system is 64 bit. Not impossible, but that is an additional issue.

except from apple that requires you to have 64bits apps to submit to the macapp store,
can some tell me what in his/her app requires the 64bits to be plenty functionnal ?

I ship a 32-bit and 64-bit build of my Linux app. But my Windows and Mac versions are still 32-bit. The reason I ship 64-bit Linux is that it has become pretty much impossible to run a 32-bit GUI app on 64-bit Linux reliably. The addition of Xojo 64-bit made Linux builds usable and relevant again (and much improved) in my case… I won’t be shipping 64-bit Mac support unless I need some specific functionality that requires 64-bit or until Apple/Xojo deprecates it. And I definitely won’t be shipping Windows 64-bit for a LONG time until it’s required also (and I’m still supporting Windows XP for the next year or so, so I’m not even using the latest Xojo for Windows builds).

[quote=235750:@Jean-Yves Pochez]except from apple that requires you to have 64bits apps to submit to the macapp store,
can some tell me what in his/her app requires the 64bits to be plenty functionnal ?[/quote]

I don’t think this is accurate (unless I missed something), I have 32-bit apps on the Mac App Store…

[quote=235750:@Jean-Yves Pochez]except from apple that requires you to have 64bits apps to submit to the macapp store,
can some tell me what in his/her app requires the 64bits to be plenty functionnal ?[/quote]
They do not require 64 bit for the Mac App Store

They require 64 bit builds for the App Store for iOS which Xojo builds by default