Which version of the macOS are you using to develop macOS apps with?

10.13.6 on my Development Machine.
Installed 10.14. on an iMac to play around with it. No issues so far.
Will wait for the next release of Mojave before updating my development environment.

Still using Mac OSX 10.13.6 since my iMac is 2011 and can’t be upgrade anymore.
Need to get a new iMac soon

Have just upgraded my development machine here to 10.14 and though I made a disk image first so I could restore it if I had trouble so far I haven’t had any serious problems. It’s more picky about my external monitor. High Sierra would forget that it was there once or twice a week, Mojave thinks I’ve disconnected it every time I wake up the machine. I have to physically unplug and replug it. Apart from that I haven’t had any serious trouble. I needed to be able to test apple scriptable apps on it to see what my users would face when they upgraded and were still running our previous app versions. I REALLY don’t like how they did that, there is no way to pre-approve the app to talk to other apps, you don’t get the dialog until you actually try to send an event to something else, but apart from that is does seem to work OK if you click allow. The whole mess with hardening and notarizing has me more than a little bit worried. The reason one of my main projects is not on the app store is because of it’s reliance on things like traditional shells and other things that I know they don’t like in sandboxed apps. I hope their notarizing is just a virus check and not too similar to the MAS checkup or I won’t be able to do it without a whole lot of work. I’ve been meaning to do that work for years so that it could go on the app store, but there are still things I need to be able to do that I don’t think will ever be allowed there like run plugins from external folders that are not in the application scripts folder and so forth. I really need to read up a bit more on what I would really have to do but it seems like an insurmountable barrier to my sanity right this moment.

10.14 - no issues so far

Congratulations, you’re the first developer to admit that you’re running macOS Sierra!

I would call that a serious issue, since 10.12, Apple seem to have had a problem with external displays.

It is a terrible system and quite frankly, I’ve been wondering HOW necessary it actually is? I understand that this sole “Ask permission” system, is to shunt the onus onto the end user, in-case malware creeps in, it can’t access your ‘private’ data unless you allow it. It’s so stupid when you open a camera app on the iPhone, “App X would like to use your camera”, No ■■■■ Sherlock. Then when you try to save or view the photo you’ve taken, “App X would like to access your photos”, at this point, you wonder if anyone there has any sense. Who’s going to download a “Camera” app and disallow it to work?

We’re (as a community) working on that, it’s slow going as it appears it’s easier to find hen’s teeth, than official documentation (that doesn’t say upgrade to Xcode X.

Okay, so this is where we’ll just have to find out. Hardening (which will be required universally, for Developer ID and App Store), is like a “App Sandbox Lite”, there are restrictions applied to the application, what they are we don’t know as I can’t find anything that states what they are (doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist). @Christophe De Voight found some over the weekend, however I “Hardened” App Wrapper yesterday and that was still able to code sign applications (which can’t be done in a true App Sandbox). So it’s really not as restrictive as an App Sandbox.

As far as I understand “Notarization”, is just Apple running your application through their own malware checker, but I may be wrong. Right now, I want to focus on dealing with “Hardening” and the consequences of it, before I shift my focus on to “Notarization”.

My every day primary macOS is 10.12.6. But, I have both VMWare VMs of 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.13.6, and 10.14.0, as well as external 250GB SSDs that plugin to an old Seagate Thunderbolt drive dock (no longer made - I suspect due to poor cooling) which allow me to boot into those same versions for direct operation on my Canister Mac Pro and my Retina MBP.

Use 10.13.6 for development and have a test machine which I upgraded to 10.14 last week.
Be wary of upgrading to Mojave. My test machine became almost a boat anchor when I upgraded. WIFI, Ethernet and USB all stopped working. And the machine slowed down to take a key stroke about every 5 seconds.
The Apple tech support people said they are chasing this problem and believe it is due to some installed apps. Fix was to boot in Recovery, wipe drive and install Mojave. Haven’t yet added back any other apps that would cause the problem.

Mavericks for me (10.9.5) on my Mini, as later versions suffer from uglification. However that limits me to 2018r2 so I may have to make the jump to Mojave, but not until the .1 comes out.

Meanwhile for code signing using AppWrapper I’m running High Sierra on a MacBook Air.

It should be pointed out that these security measures are to protect you from the apps that it’s not obvious that they need access to your camera or photos. I’ve run into more than one app that has asked for access to my microphone where I’ve thought “why the heck would an app that does this need to record me or my surroundings.” Granted, it’s not a perfect system, but since apps can pretty much send anything they have access to anywhere on the planet, I’d much rather the apps have to get my permission before being able to send all of my personal data halfway around the world.

I had a report of a problem with one of my apps under 10.14… so I upgraded from 10.13 and found the problem to be an old Einhuger plugin… Once I updated that and recompiled I have not seen any problems.

I did have to upgrade VirtualBox but that has been the only other issue so far.

So in summary, I’m in the minority (between this forum and Twitter), half that answered are running 10.14, a quarter are running 10.13 and an eighth are running 10.12, with the remaining eighth running 10.11. These are only rough figures as there’s still a couple of people running Mac OS X 10.9, but no-one answered macOS 10.10.

So I’m going to swap my workflows around, install 10.11 on my testing machine and install Mojave on my production machine. Wish me luck.

I thought that’s what the App Store reviewers are for, to stop ■■■■ like this or apps that auto enroll you into subscriptions without your knowledge?

One would hope, but as any security consultant will tell you, humans are the weakest link. It’s probably a thankless job being an app reviewer and I suspect that you miss things the longer you do it. If I had to guess, the easiest way to bypass that system would be to slip the functionality in after 4 or 5 failed submission attempts with a simple explanation of “bug fixes”. Someone who’s reviewed your app already is likely to make assumptions based on previous reviews.