When will we finally see some progress on iOS?

Because the iOS platform is only for OSX, all the iOS libraries are available on the machine. This means the potential for Xojo to provide a way to add Using statements that natively include these libraries and allowing us to dot-notation into these native libraries is within the realm of possible.

When I mentioned this at XDC last year, the comment I got from developers was “That sounds interesting and possible and we can’t comment on it any further”

I wrote a lot of articles over the years in different magazines.
and I think my article got both in Mac & I as well as c’t. One was a bit updated and shorter.

For the framework inclusion, well that may be possible, but than you just have something like those other guys doing a basic for iOS by replacing Objective-C or Swift with Basic dialect.

And that seems completely acceptable for a convenient way to completely expand the framework with minimal work on Xojo’s end.

Yes, is an article from you.

Well, what I see currently would be nice to have is:

• more functions in iOSTable (like refresh, delete, columns)
  • push-message support
  • scrollable view

Many other thinks i solved with the IOSKit from @Jason King (thx a lot).

• camera access
  • barcode reading
  • alertcontroller

But of course would be nice to have this included in Xojo, also knowing that is supported on the next iOS.

[quote=243607:Art Gorski]I'm a hobbyist, writing code for fun, not for sale.

I’ve been working on an iOS app without using any declares, but I’m getting to the point where I will probably have to include a few. I suspect Xojo will add functionality in the future where I will want to remove these and add the native code. Trying to avoid too much of that.

I haven’t bitten the bullet and bought a license yet, just using the IOS Simulator until my app is complete. That’s because I agree that the license price is eye-wateringly high for what you currently get, and I’m hoping for more functionality and/or a better license price.[/quote]

I’m in a very similar boat. I’m coding for fun, but it’s not been much fun with the lack of progress over the last year of my licence, and now it’s renewal time and I really don’t want to pay $299 for this level of pain.

I can buy an awful lot of books on learning Swift for that money, and not suffer problems every time Xcode gets updated or using multiple plugins from different people causes unintended problems (not their fault at all, and I in no way blame them). I’ve got a couple of apps in the store that I’m going to have to pull, simply because I can’t get to the bottom of bugs that have occurred when iOS has updated and changed something, Xcode & Xojo have then updated, and I can no longer get my apps to compile. It’s driving me nuts.

Swift itself is easy, but the Xcode IDE is the problem for me. I just can’t grok the weirdness of adding code to classes that I never instantiate, dragging outlets, etc. And don’t get me started on Delegates! It just doesn’t make sense. Trivial apps are doable, but trying to find out how to do anything beyond that is a nightmare. I’ve spent far more time searching documentation than actual coding.

The IDE is where Xojo shines. It just needs to add more functionality.

That’s a fair point, although it’s more about the relative difficulty of the frameworks–the complexity of the IDEs follow from that. The comparison I’ve used in the past is that the Xojo framework has a fairly gentle learning curve, while learning Cocoa isn’t a curve at all–it’s standing at the base of El Capitan (the rock, not the OS) looking up and thinking, “What the heck do I do now?”

[quote=245174:@Art Gorski]Swift itself is easy, but the Xcode IDE is the problem for me. I just can’t grok the weirdness of adding code to classes that I never instantiate, dragging outlets, etc. And don’t get me started on Delegates! It just doesn’t make sense.

[/quote]

Understanding MVC will help. This is what I found out. Was in your same situation.

For myself, I wrote a letter to Santa :wink:

Shouldn’t you have better written the letter to Geoff? :slight_smile:

I rather believe in the North Pole guy at this point :wink:

I’ve recently cancelled my Xojo license after a year because no substantial improvements have been made to iOS support. Even the simplest things are missing, such as being able to add an image background to a button or a view.

Stuff like camera, gps and gyro have been standard fare since 2007 when the iPhone was introduced. Not on Xojo.

Community members have done great work, creating declares and workarounds, but they can cause surprises when submitting your app to the App Store. Like rejections and crashes.

I hope iOS will get some serious attention in 2016. I won’t be renewing my license until it improves.

And please give Christian the opportunity to port his excellent plugins to iOS

These are things I have been saying about XOJO for iOS since day one, and the reason I moved to SWIFT for my iOS tinkering, and I’m sorry to see that due to lack of attention on XOJO’s part, it is losing more momentum. :frowning:

But I do find it ironic, that in one sentence you talk about “creating declares”, “but they cause surprises”, and in the next you want to see MBS plugins.

Not long ago I had a working Mac declare which worked just fine, until I decided to register over ten thousand fonts. As it happened, it had a small glitch that did not manifest until then. Cute surprise.

On the other hand, I never had any such surprise with MBS plugins. Sure I paid for them, but I got an absolutely perfect product.

I really regret Jean-Paul Devulder stopped selling his dtPlugins for iOS. Under an unassuming modest price, they provided cruelly needed features such as printing and multicolumn tables with perfect and reliable accuracy.

In spite of the great efforts of Ulrich Bogun and Jason King, there are regularly issues, I guess they could be called “surprises”, that are perfectly admissible for a free open source effort, but frankly annoying in a context where Xojo was unable to provide the features, and where one would like to have a professional product available.

If Xojo is to remain so dismally underpowered that even a simple pedometer is out of question, much less use of all the accelerators or printing, I frankly don’t think it can claim to be fully “iOS”. Prototype, maybe ?

Superb, Jean-Paul !

I still think Xojo should buy the code from you to make it part of its IDE.

+1
Except the plugins the support from @jean-paul devulder is excelent…

[quote=260061:@Loannis Kolliageorgas]+1
Except the plugins the support from @jean-paul devulder is excelent…[/quote]

And IMHO nhis prices are too low :wink:

Oh no !
:wink:

Xojo is losing the greatest chance a company could have.

There are so many, let’s say Desktop Developers, searching for an easy way to become a Mobile Developer. But if they try to use Xcode or B4 for example they see that there is a great mountain to climb.

Xojo is in fact easy to learn but after a short time you see the very poor implementation of iOS features. If Xojo would start an attack to implement some of the basic features (gps, camera etc.) and some more controls they have the chance to make Xojo the most popular development tool for the mobile development world.

PS: If i have to deal with declares and looking into the Apple docs and have to do this try and error coding there is no advantage and i can start learning Xcode / Swift.

[quote=262576:@Hans-Jürgen Müller]Xojo is losing the greatest chance a company could have.

There are so many, let’s say Desktop Developers, searching for an easy way to become a Mobile Developer. But if they try to use Xcode or B4 for example they see that there is a great mountain to climb.

Xojo is in fact easy to learn but after a short time you see the very poor implementation of iOS features. If Xojo would start an attack to implement some of the basic features (gps, camera etc.) and some more controls they have the chance to make Xojo the most popular development tool for the mobile development world.

PS: If i have to deal with declares and looking into the Apple docs and have to do this try and error coding there is no advantage and i can start learning Xcode / Swift.[/quote]
They’ve publicly said that the next release is focussed on iOS. I await with bated breath.