What's the latest best practice for forcing the Native HTMLViewer renderer to use the newest IE?

So for years I’ve used Webkit as the rendering engine for my Windows HTMLViewers, as I found the results to be much better than when I left it using the native renderer. Recent changes in the way that the WebKit engine handles certain (Xojo: Account Login)>]things in Xojo Desktop Windows Builds is forcing me to move back to the native renderer on Windows. I want to make sure that my app’s HTMLViewers will always use the very latest available IE / Edge version installed on the host machine, but I’m finding nothing but conflicting and outdated information both here and on the Xojo blog about how to do so. The meta tag approach that @Greg O’Lone recommends is apparently no longer supported (and I can’t make it work on latest Xojo) and the registry hack from @Paul Lefebvre specifies a specific version of the IE 11 renderer - I want to try to future-proof this as much as possible and don’t want to specify a specific version of the renderer to use.

Is there an up-to-date method that gracefully forces your HTMLVIewer to use the latest-available IE or Edge version?

[quote=341490:@Kimball Larsen]So for years I’ve used Webkit as the rendering engine for my Windows HTMLViewers, as I found the results to be much better than when I left it using the native renderer. Recent changes in the way that the WebKit engine handles certain (https://xojo.com/issue/47945)>]things in Xojo Desktop Windows Builds is forcing me to move back to the native renderer on Windows. I want to make sure that my app’s HTMLViewers will always use the very latest available IE / Edge version installed on the host machine, but I’m finding nothing but conflicting and outdated information both here and on the Xojo blog about how to do so. The meta tag approach that @Greg O’Lone recommends is apparently no longer supported (and I can’t make it work on latest Xojo) and the registry hack from @Paul Lefebvre specifies a specific version of the IE 11 renderer - I want to try to future-proof this as much as possible and don’t want to specify a specific version of the renderer to use.

Is there an up-to-date method that gracefully forces your HTMLVIewer to use the latest-available IE or Edge version?[/quote]
From what I’ve read, the way to do this is to make the registry entry higher than you want and the OS will use the highest value that it can. I’ve not tried this, but it stands to reason that it will work.

That said, if you set your value to IE11, you’ve got access to most modern browser standards.