Whats the killer deal with Catalina?

So far, I’ve received 23 notices from various professional audio and video oriented apps (and a few games) warning me to steer clear of Catalina until they notify me that they’ve sorted out issues caused by Catalina. I also have 7 bug reports for Apple’'s own tools Logic Pro X and Motion filed against the latest Catalina beta. They can’t even keep their own app teams updated - so definitely a repeat of Vista …

I’m so happy that all of my personal Macs run 10.13.6 well. Also, if you’re a cutter (video or audio) DaVinci Resolve and Traction both work wonderfully on the current Linux releases (Resolve is actually faster on Linux than the same Machine running Windows 10).

[quote=456487:@Richard Nicolella]SelectColor can only be used once on Catalina. The second time the app will blink out of existence.
I entered a Feedback case on August 3, 2019. The Catalina GM is out today and it still crashes. My app uses SelectColor heavily and will now be worthless in Catalina.
Can anyone suggest a workaound?[/quote]
Apple seems to have fixed the crash that occurred with SelectColor in macOS 10.15.1 (19B88).
The Color Picker in an application built with Xojo 2018r4 works again just fine. And… no modal/async issues such as reported for Xojo 2019r2 :wink:
So no workaround needed - but your users need to update from 10.15 to 10.15.1.

That’s lucky,
I was reading about how one developer to make an app compatible with Catalina, created a hacked library that swizzled all the API calls which are now gone or broken. Then modified the launch commands of the main executable, to load this hacked library first, then the executable.

Quite impressive and all without having to recompile the application. I love the power of swizzling in Objective-C…

Is this what you’re referring to?

[quote=460936:@Tanner Lee]Is this what you’re referring to?
https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive/blob/master/README.md[/quote]
That’s the app; but not the article where they detailed all the steps. I think I would have given up after about the 7th or 10th step. But I’m impressed with their dedication.

Shows how little the dev thinks of Apple’s latest Photo management software, that they’re willing to do all this work, instead of accepting the newer app (which is pretty terrible compared to iPhoto IMHO).

Another entry in this series. This happens when I try to install Xcode components on Catalina 10.15.1:

I am in favor of Catavista…

Took my MBP to the Apple Store the other day for its fourth keyboard replacement. They said “We can just give you a whole new computer, it’s faster than a repair - you can take it with you now.” “What OS does it have?” “Catalina”, they replied. “No thanks, I’ll wait for the repair”.

I already had several customers under Catalina.

I can spot them a mile away.
“Your app won’t save”
'When Catalina asked if you wanted to allow our app to access the documents folder, did you say ‘No’? "
“Of course, that’s the best for security isn’t it…?”

1 Like

Another fun crash: if you use AquaticPrime then the app can crash in 15.1 with

[quote]Application Specific Information:
Invalid dylib load. Clients should not load the unversioned libcrypto dylib as it does not have a stable ABI.

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libvshared_fat_release_x64.dylib 0x0000000114f213ac fbl::smart_ptrfbl::Location_Disk_FSRef::operator=(fbl::Location_Disk_FSRef*) + 38
1 libvshared_fat_release_x64.dylib 0x0000000114f211da fbl::Location_Disk_FSRef::get_ChildLocation(fbl::String const&) const + 160
2 ??? 0x00650054003a003a 0 + 28429333428830266[/quote]

And when I checked the libcrypto dylib I can see that the normal alias to the correct dylib has been replaced by a normal non-alias file. I had to link to a static file that is present for High Sierra to Catalina. Head on desk.

[quote=460999:@Jeff Tullin]I can spot them a mile away.
“Your app won’t save”
'When Catalina asked if you wanted to allow our app to access the documents folder, did you say ‘No’? "
“Of course, that’s the best for security isn’t it…?”[/quote]
For security, dear user, do not save anything.

unplug the computer
put it in a box
send it back to the manufacturer

nice and safe :stuck_out_tongue:

Safest. :slight_smile:

Has anything changed in 15.1 in regards to the many “do want to give app xyz access to folder”? Whenever I started my app in the debugger I had to do at least one of these. Now I don’t get the message anymore.

Catalina is too stupid. How can you screw up menus? For some apps I only get the last menu item and nothing else.

Just now I did a screenshot and wanted to have a look: “It’s not possible to open the file”. WTF???

Hi

Sorry about reviving this old topic but I see no other references to this ugly error message on the forum.

I’ve got the same lovely message on my app;

Invalid dylib load. Clients should not load the unversioned libcrypto dylib as it does not have a stable ABI.

I also get:

Invalid dylib load. Clients should not load the unversioned libssl dylib as it does not have a stable ABI.

I’m using an app I wrote a few years ago and I’m updating it for Catalina 10.15.7. These errors occur when I’m setting up, storing and retrieving printer setup strings.

I don’t really understand what’s going on, but is there a workaround please?

Somewhere you have a declare (or plugin) that’s pointing to the generic /usr/lib/libcrypto.dylib.

It needs to be changed to something like “/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib”. There are plenty of options and you should pick the version of the Crypto library that is on all of your supported system. Or use different declares for different versions of the OS.

/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib is the version I’m using. Bug in Catalina.

1 Like

Thank you Sam and Beatrix for your prompt and helpful replies.

This is much further under the hood than I have ever been with Xojo, so apologies in advance for asking what may be dumb questions.

There are no explicit declares in my app so it looks like my problem may be in a plug-in. I’ll explore this.

Also would it be possible to create a declare that overrides the default (and faulty) library item with the one you are suggesting? If yes, then what would this look like and where should I put it? (I am using Xojo 2019 r3.2 and Catalina 10.15.7 and the problem appears to relate to my use of the PrinterSetup.ShowPageSetupDialog method.)

Thanks.

PS (added later) The only plug-in I am using (other than those that came with Xojo) is the CubeSQL.xojo plug-in which my app needs in order to do its job.

Are you using the Crypto Xojo functions to encode/decode the page setup string?

As for overriding an existing plugin or the Xojo framework, in some cases this is possible, in others you simply have to create code to replace the entire function/class.