What versions of Linux do you test your XoJo Apps on?

Currently, I only have Linux Mint Cinnamon installed in a VM and a Laptop. These are where I test my Linux Builds from XoJo Apps.

I’m wondering what other Linux versions should I consider installing in VM’s for testing. Also, if there are Linux versions that don’t play well with XoJo or that I should just skip, I’d appreciate any suggestions and/or comments with this.

Thanks!

Which desktops and distro are your users using?

My main machines are openSUSE with a Gnome desktop.

I also test on: openSUSE with KDE, Fedora (Gnome), elementaryOS (Pantheon), Mint (Cinnamon) and the Raspberry Pi (PIXEL/LXDE).

1 Like

I use Mint Mate, but it’s unstable and buggy.

Currently, I don’t have an answer to that. I’m not writing software directly for a user or group of users. I’m trying to target my stuff to most Mac, Windows and Linux Users. Obviously, the biggest audience tends to be Windows. Linux has so many flavors, I just want to test on some of the popular versions. I ask the question here just to get a feel for what other XoJo developers are doing in regards to Linux. :slight_smile:

In which case I’d try it on any distro on Gnome and KDE. openSUSE has an option for either on the installer. Fedora and Ubuntu both have Gnome and KDE variants too. AFAIK you can install Gnome and KDE within Mint too.

Remember VM’s are cheap and easy!

I keep a tree of VMs with the following:

• Mint Una Cinnamon
  • Debian 10 Generic
  • Debian 11 Generic
  • Ubuntu 20.04
  • CentOS 7.9
  • Fedora 28
  • Fedora 35
  • OpenSuSE LEAP
  • Manjaro
  • Arch 2021.12
  • Slackware 15

They are all 4 CPU Cores, 4GB RAM, and I share my Development folder tree with each so I can access the built apps directly.

3 Likes

So how common is that a Linux build works fine on them all?

I’ve never seen anything that made me rule out a distro. Keep in mind that they are all running the same Xorg or Wayland graphics server and GTK+ API/SDK. The Window/Desktop manager is just lipstick on top of those Xlib/Xt SDKs. Just make sure that you enable the “Normalize Control Size” behavior in the Linux build settings.

3 Likes

Oh, and I’ve been building Linux apps with REALbasic, Real.Studio, and Xojo since around 2004/5.

3 Likes

Good to know. I’ll have to build up some more Linux VMs. Probably not as many as you have, but a few so I’m not tunnel visioned. I figure if I need to support another Distro, I can spin up another VM if needed.

1 Like

I typically use the latest Linux versions Ubuntu and Raspberry Pi OS.

1 Like

I’m getting the feeling it does run on various Linux Distros by the responses. It’s just a matter of testing for the intended target(s) of concern. Thanks All! :slight_smile:

1 Like