What SQLite version in my app?

I just dusted off an app I started a few years ago. How can I tell what version of SQLite is used in it? Does it matter? Does it get updated as I update RB to Xojo and on to newer releases? Can you tell I don’t know much about this? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is your concern about what version of SQLite created your database? I haven’t heard a case where this has mattered.

Yea, I suppose I don’t even know the question to ask but your response is comforting. This app is several years old, at least 5, and I just had some questions come to mind when I went back to it.

I’m have no experience with SQLite so I don’t know how this works. Is there never any need to concern myself with the version of SQLite in one of my apps no matter how old? Even if SQLite itself has new features added?

I’m not an expert, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t make a difference. The storage structure hasn’t changed over the years, AFAIK, so you can still open a database created as a REALSQLDatabase today.

the version of SQLIte is dependent on which version of RB/RS/Xojo you used to compile it. The database file structure as far as what I remember Dr Hipp saying hasnt changed in a very long time.

The SQLite file structure has not changed since v3, so you don’t have to worry about that. Newer versions may add new features and fix bugs, like anything else. You can see the version of SQLite used by Xojo with this code:

Dim db As New SQLiteDatabase MsgBox(db.LibraryVersion)

SQLite release notes are here: https://sqlite.org/changes.html

Thanks everybody. That all makes sense. I can get to bed earlier tonight and not have to update this.

Xojo (REALbasic) Release Notes is your best friend in that case.

I recall entries in Release Notes that says what SQLite version was used in that Xojo / Reak Studio / REALbasic version.

I searched in my software (The COmpletist Reader) and found:

Real Studio 2007r5
[Chg] [All] RBREALSQLDatabase.rbx: Updated REALSQLDatabase plugin with sqlite version 3.4.2. (Feedback ID: jbhkoruw)

Real Studio 2012r1
19917 Database: REALSQLDatabase has been updated to SQLite 3.7.11.

This question leads to another:

Is it useful (when using a database or Regular Expressions) to place the used versions # in the About Box (or elsewhere in the software) for eventual future checking ?

[quote=76721:@Emile Schwarz]This question leads to another:

Is it useful (when using a database or Regular Expressions) to place the used versions # in the About Box (or elsewhere in the software) for eventual future checking ?[/quote]
I do that. However, I hide it from the user by only displaying the data if the user holds down the CTRL key while bringing up the About box.

Here’s what I put in the OPEN event of the About window:

[code] Dim tempStr As string

Copyrite.Text = App.LongVersion

if TargetMacOS = True or TargetLinux = true then
stAppName.text = App.ExecutableFile.Name
else
stAppName.text = left (App.ExecutableFile.Name, len(App.ExecutableFile.Name) - 4)
end if

StatVersion.Text = "Version " + Str(App.MajorVersion) + “.” + str(App.MinorVersion) + “.” + _
str(App.BugVersion)

Select case app.StageCode
Case 0
tempStr = “d”
Case 1
tempStr = “a”
Case 2
tempStr = “b”
else
tempStr = “”
end Select

StatVersion.text = StatVersion.text + tempStr

If Keyboard.ControlKey = True Then
StatVersion.text = StatVersion.text + " - Built with v" + XojoVersionString + " on " + App.BuildDate.ShortDate
// If this is a database app, uncomment the next line.
'StaticText1.Text = "DB Path: " + App.theDB.DatabaseFile.NativePath
StaticText1.Text = StaticText1.Text + EndOfLine + “This program is built with Xojo from Xojo, Inc.”
StaticText1.MultiLine = True
Else
StaticText1.Text = “This program is built with Xojo from Xojo, Inc.”
StaticText1.MultiLine = False
End If[/code]

Of course you can put whatever data you want in the fields.

I just discovered that if you “Dim db As New SQLiteDatabase” as part of your code and then look at the value of the db variable you will find the version of the SQL library. In my case it is 3.7.17 and I’m using Xojo 2014 R1.

Version info is also found in the docs with some other useful info.

http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/SQLiteDatabase

SQLiteDatabase.LibraryVersion

is our best friend.

Thanks. Missed that when Paul posted it.