What language in Xojo written in?

Years ago I remember seeing a statement that realbasic was written using realbasic. This immediately raised the chicken or egg conundrum. Can anybody tell me what language Xojo is written in? The answer ‘Xojo’ will not be acceptable as I fear it will burn out too many of my brain cells.

Xojo :slight_smile:

I think they wrote the framework (or parts of it) in C++, and the IDE in Xojo.

Would be great if Xojo is eventually a true bootstrapping compiler though…

Exactly what I didnt want to hear although Alwyn’s response appears to be the more logical.

Richard was pulling your leg!

Yeah, I get it. Sarcasm doesnt translate well over text messages. (his and mine)

:slight_smile:

First realbasic was written in C.
Later in 2005 the IDE for Real Studio was build with Reslbasic 5.9 and xojo than was started with Real Studio.

Nowadays a new version is built with last version and than it builds itself again to verify it works.

Just so I have got a handle on this, Can Xojo access processor level commands and other hardware without some intermediate level language?

you always call an API. And without an API provided by the OS you can’t get to hardware.

I believe that just the IDE is made with XOJO. The framework underlying the IDE (compiler, linker, libs, etc) is basically Obj-C/C++/C.

Xojo is a compiled language so before any code written in Xojo can be executed it has to be compiled to machine code first; what actually gets executed is machine code. Theoretically the compiler could have been written in Xojo even when (as far as I know) it is not. You could write a compiler for any programming language X in C, Assembler, or whatever, then write a new compiler for X using X itself, use the first compiler to compile the second compiler and voilá: you have got an X compiler written in X. This bootstrapping technology has been applied in practice, although not with Xojo.

It’s not one language.

Xojo is written using multiple languages, including C, C++, Objective-C, JavaScript and Xojo itself. The Xojo IDE, much of the desktop framework and most of the web framework are written in Xojo. The compiler is primarily C++.

[quote=98759:@Paul Lefebvre]It’s not one language.

Xojo is written using multiple languages, including C, C++, Objective-C, JavaScript and Xojo itself. The Xojo IDE, much of the desktop framework and most of the web framework are written in Xojo. The compiler is primarily C++.[/quote]
JavaScript is only for the Web apps, right?

The Messages pane of the IDE is a mini web-app. So you could say there is some JavaScript powering the IDE.

Its sometimes an htmlviewer since its not always available on all platforms and it has some performance issues when logs get big