WebService keeps running?

When I build and deploy a WebService app, and run it on my webserver, How long will the app be running?
Is it a good idea to have code withing the HandleSpecialURL to quit the app? Or is that totally unnecessary?

Of course I could have a timer running, for timeout purposes. I mean, when no request comes in for certain amount of time, I can have call app.quit, or something like that.

If it’s a standalone WebApp you need it to keep running continuously. If it’s a cgi WebApp you can get it to quit itself after say, 10 minutes, since the last user logged out. Apache will relaunch a cgi WebApp as needed (with a little delay), but not a standalone WebApp.

Thank you for your response David.

IT is indeed a CGI service.
I understand that there is no timeout build in? No problem, I can always write the TimeOutTimer and HandleSpecialURL code myself.

But thanks for the info

There is in fact two timers built-in:

1. one to log out users who have not done anything in their browsers (WebSession.Timeout = ##. The number of seconds the end-user can be idle before the TimedOut event fires. Set this value to zero to disable the timeout. The default behaviour is no timeout, for backward compatibility. Whether or not the user is idle is determined by the MouseMove and KeyUp events on the browser itself) and,
  2. one to quit the app once the last user has logged out (WebApplication.Timeout = ##. The number of seconds after the last WebSession ends that a CGI application will quit. The default value is 60.).

[quote=183727:@Edwin van den Akker]Thank you for your response David.

IT is indeed a CGI service.
I understand that there is no timeout build in? No problem, I can always write the TimeOutTimer and HandleSpecialURL code myself.

But thanks for the info[/quote]
There is a timeout built in. It’s 3 minutes after the last session has closed. The one caveat is the if sessions can’t close for some reason, the app will not quit either.

Thanks!