WebCursors?

the documentation seems out of date.
how can i show a wait mouse pointer if the page refresh a list after at button click?
xojo 2020r2.1

Hi Markus - I was wondering the same thing myself!

https://documentation.xojo.com/api/web/webcursors.html

1 Like

That docs page has not been updated since 2017, maybe a feature not yet in Web 2.0?

1 Like

This was sufficient for my particular need at that time and I never digged into it more deeply. The inconvenience is that in the above case the cursor only changed as long as the cursors will be “over” the object were you set it. So in your case @MarkusR you would need to add this to your web list. I personally would still prefer a change of the cursor for the whole app. I don’t think this is possible (yet).

1 Like

I’m not certain, but I don’t think there is even an “over” event that you can use on a WebButton or other WebControl right now - so nothing to trigger the change of the cursor in general.

1 Like

Ok, Plan B would be a Label as Information that need updated inside a Method at Start & End.

1 Like

True, but I usually working via timers for this kind of stuff, so that would be less of an issue.

Yes, I have a similar plan B: own web dialog to entertain the user, until the routine is finished :-).

1 Like

tested it with WebDialog, i dropped this into my window, it show but it does not hide/close :frowning:
2020r2.1

I am calling a webdialog, with a timer, when the routine is done it sets a parameter to true. The timer is checking that value and doing a dialog.close.

1 Like

I should add, the ability to use a WebCursor is often important for demonstrating when a UI component is “clickable”. I often use canvases to create my own UI buttons, and on Web apps if you can’t toggle the ‘arrow’ to a ‘pointing finger’ when an element is moused-over then the user won’t intuitively know that they can ‘click’ on an item.

Canvas Opening or Shown events:

me.Style.Value("cursor") = "pointer"
2 Likes

Love the idea, but how do you get access to any mouse-over events to trigger the Style change?

These are CSS cursors, they automatically change when you do a mouse-over the control.

1 Like

Ew! So much extra work - I guess I got a tad spoiled with Web 1.0 functions. Thanks for the reminder :+1:

I hope that at some point, in a “Xojo Web 3.0”, they can separate backend and frontend objects and events, in such a way that we can write entire frontend features that can work in realtime without any roundtrip to the server unless we set or read some server object from the frontend, or set or read some UI object from the backend. For example, we should have UITimers and BackEndTimers and events.

2 Likes

hmm, seems that using show and hide in one method not work yet 

and again I do want to go on record as saying I LOVE XOJO, and could not live life to the fullest w/out it!

Oh, and I think you can specify WebTimer.Location for running server-side or local, but apparently you have to create these thru the IDE and can’t specify them programatically. FWIW.

Not a flattery fan. When I say something, is trying to add. And yes, Xojo lacks such level of control, and with it, we could design snappier apps bridging the slow intercomm only when it matters.

Just to update this old thread as someone liked one of my answers that is out-of-date.

The correct way to change the WebCursors in Web2 is:

me.style.Cursor = WebStyle.Cursors.Pointer

changing ‘Pointer’ to what you need from the available options.

2 Likes