Webapp timeout/disconnection

I have created a little medical webapp (http://104.130.219.185/Mottagning-Dev/) and uploaded it in my Xojo Cloud ‘Small’. The webapp runs fine on my home desktop computer and on my notebook. But, and this is my problem, it disconnects only after a few (1-5?) minutes on my (network) computer in the hospital (which machine was the “target” of the development) and then comes the timeout page of the Xojo.

The webapp has a few webpages, and the setup in my app:
App Open Event:
App.AutoQuit = True
App.Timeout = 900
App.SessionTimeout = 900

Session open event:
Self.Timeout = 900

Session Timeout event:
Self.Quit
msgbox(“Timeout now!”)

All three computers runs on Windows7 and they have Google Chrome. By the way IE browser on the same machine does the same.
I am not sure if it is a timeout or a disconnection, because the timeout msgbox doesn’t come, so the disconnection doesn’t trigger this event. On the other side, all other web program (medical sites, mail clients, gmail, and even facebook and news sites) works fine on my “hospital” computer, and they don’t disconnect so. Tp test Xojo apps, from this forums “Deployed Web app examples” I have tried a randomly a few examples to test theirs behaviour, but for example this http://75.146.116.250:9000/ doesn’t disconnects, and doesn’t give this timeout page.

I have to suspect that the problem is with my webapp, despite it runs fine on my other two computer. The hospitals network can be a factor, okey, but why only with this webapp?
Or the Xojo Cloud itself is the problem…?

Any idea is very much appreciated!! :slight_smile:

I tested and the app doesn’t timeout early for me. If you look in the developer tools for Chrome do you see the ping and push connections? I believe these are what determine if the session is still alive when there is no activity. Seems to happen a little less than 2 minutes apart when I watch the network tab in the developer tools on Safari.

I don’t know why it’s not working for you, but I would test on a different network connection with the same computer/device if possible to try and determine if it’s something specific to the hospital network or firewall.

Also, if you can determine if the disconnect always occurs with a specific timeframe that would be helpful in determining if this is a specific setting somewhere, or a side effect of some other configuration of the network router or firewall.

Kevin, the hospitals network can be a factor, okey, but why only with this webapp?

If no action is taken by the user for three minutes, the session will automatically end and display the “session has ended message”. Could it be that ?

On an other machine i hospital, 4 minutes, checked twice now again.
Yes I leave the machine and disconnects, but I have changed (I hope) the timeout interval to the abovementioned 900. And at home it works as planned. But here not, and doesn’t gives here my session.timeout msgbox message. And only my webapp has this issue.

Not sure Session.TimeOut actually suppresses the 3 minutes disconnect.

Greg will eventually spell the law.

It looks possible to override that by creating events on the browser with JavaScript, though.

And it is not only simple timeout here, because it can freeze, when I actively use the app, and now I got this error message

This was the bottom part of the error message with an intresting “timeout” text.

First part of the this error message was:

Got a message that said: TIMEOUT HAPPENS… after a while of idle time in the app.
No crash.

[quote=251767:@Zoltan Dinya]And it is not only simple timeout here, because it can freeze, when I actively use the app, and now I got this error message
[/img][/url][/quote]

Please select and copy the complete content of the top box of the black dialog (it scrolls) and post it. It will give a clue as to what is happening.

But Albin… Do yout think that this is a normal message and no problem? Du kan lsa den svenska texten ocks i felmeddelandet.

“from javascript: Det gr inte att hmta egenskapen rows fr en referens som r odefinierad eller null
Source: Xojo.controls[!DEPmBNjb’].deleteALLrows()”

…and the app stops? It stops in all case if you start to work with the app, if you leave it, then comes the timeout after 3-4 min, in spite of my timeout settings. This error message came only one time after the app stopped. When it stops, the screen stays, and you can even write texts into the textfields, but, if you press any WebButton, happens nothing.

Plus this timeout (?) problem happens only on the computers in the hospital, which is very unlucky if you wanted to have a small medical app. At home or on my notebook the same webapp works fine.

[quote=251787:@Zoltan Dinya]But Albin… Do yout think that this is a normal message and no problem? Du kan läsa den svenska texten också i felmeddelandet.

“from javascript: Det går inte att hämta egenskapen rows för en referens som är odefinierad eller null
Source: Xojo.controls[!DEPmBNjb’].deleteALLrows()”

…and the app stops? It stops in all case if you start to work with the app, if you leave it, then comes the timeout after 3-4 min, in spite of my timeout settings. This error message came only one time after the app stopped. When it stops, the screen stays, and you can even write texts into the textfields, but, if you press any WebButton, happens nothing.

Plus this timeout (?) problem happens only on the computers in the hospital, which is very unlucky if you wanted to have a small medical app. At home or on my notebook the same webapp works fine.[/quote]

[quote]Unable to retrieve property rows for a reference that is undefined or null
Source: Xojo.controls[!DEPmBNjb’].deleteALLrows()"
[/quote]

You are trying to delete rows but they are not here. This can happen if you deleteAllRows twice or if the WebListBox has been removed.

It has nothing to do with timeOut.

I think Michel nailed it for the crash :slight_smile:

The webapp has a few webpages, and the setup in my app:
App Open Event:
App.AutoQuit = True
App.Timeout = 900 (which is practically ca 15 min)
App.SessionTimeout = 900

Session open event:
Self.Timeout = 900

Session Timeout event:
Self.Quit
msgbox(“Timeout now!”)

But the problem has two “faces”:

• if I start and leave alone the webapp, only after 3-4 min it stops suddenly, WITHOUT the abovementioned “timeout now!” msgbox message. Just stops. (At home it works, and the timeout happens as planned after 15-20 min, and with my goodbye msgbox)

• if I want to use the app, it stops and freezes, and only here, in the hospital. To demonstrate this problem, I load up a little video (by my iPhone) about it: [url=http://www.medi-comp.hu/img_0559.mov[/url] (335Mb, sorry…)

Does it always freeze after entering an incorrect social security number(Felaktig r felstavat i felmeddelandet ;))?
Can you reproduce it with the same steps?

When you say “it stops suddenly”, “just stops”, what is on the screen ? Does it simply freeze, or do you have the grey screen with the message “The application has gone off-line. Please try again later.” ?

I the movie clip posted it seems to just freeze. No disconnect message.
That got me thinking that something happens in the app that stalls the communication somehow. Maybe it has not crashed but is just waiting for a long process on the server…?

Could also be a bad leak.

Good point. A leak that just builds up to a certain point.
Zoltan, can you check the process on Xojo Cloud when it has stopped responding somehow(top, ps)? (I’ve never used XC)

The Control Panel of the Xojo Cloud is very simle, so you can’t check things on it. It writes only that the app is active on the “App list”, punkt och slut, that is all. :slight_smile: But this is not a surprise, because after the app is stopped, with the refresh button in the browser it can revive again.

And it is also very important to underline, the problem happens only here in the hospital. I have tried it on three machines. Chrome, IE, the same. At home, on my notebook+mobilnet, on the computer of one of my friends, it works fine. So the can be a factor, but this code and the same app can work without a hitch.

My thoughts:

1. The Xojo Cloud Small is very slow (for 49$/month). When I start my “main page” with the menu icons after the login, we can see, how slowly comes the icons, one after the other. So the speed of the communication? Can this trigger a timeout?
    Can that be useful to test it on the www.1701software.com? Man can have a refund within a week. By the way 1701 is much cheaper, and gives better speed. (Xojo Cloud can also be faster, but the prize of this…)

2. And for example, can Java version play a roll? We have only “Java 6” on our machines, and unfortunately only the IT office har admin right to upgrade this. (But they are not too helpful, so I want to contact them if that is more or less sure, what must I have…)