Web2 still has unusable controls 2+ years after its first release

What does this even mean?

There are events for when files are added & removed, so you could do this yourself.

For me it looks like more people is using XojoWeb and they are finding bugs not reported before.

If you see the Closed Web Bugs now it says 665 and the previous screenshot says 452, that’s more than 200 bugs closed in little over 1 year. I think that is good for 1 person working as newest programmer in the company that is a new dad too.

7 Likes

IMO, it most certainly is the customer’s job, if they find that the bug/issue is enough of a problem.

This place really needs downvotes.

If I describe how to reproduce the bug and it’s not difficult, the kneejerk “requires a project” response is unacceptable. You may be a victim of Shifting Baseline Syndrome. Xojo wasn’t always this bad at handling bug reports.

9 Likes

Sure, same number does not mean same bugs. And yes, this last year, web has improved a lot and that is a good thing. But having the same number after 3 years of bug crushing says a lot of the precarious shap it was released, the huge mistake it was to kill the kid of stable web 1 and replace it with something so buggy and that xojo needs to focus on bug fixing instead of chasing shiny new half baked features and renamings.

Most customer are going to see as “their job” to find another tool where the company has actual QA and less bugs.

2 Likes

I lurk on the SQLite User’s Forum. It’s noticeable there that most who post a problem include some test SQL to illustrate the matter. And if they don’t, then they get asked for it. ISTM that this is all Xojo is doing.

In some cases it’s what they’re doing, in other cases they’re trying to sweep problems under the rug. It is very true that some people are better at providing bug reports than others, but to blanket require a project for EVERY problem is unacceptable (and that’s what they do as well as gaslight you).

You pay them. You don’t work for them. Expect better.

6 Likes

I’m guessing (but I don’t know) that if you want them to employ more people we’d all have to pay a whole lot more fpr our licences.

Xojo had 2 people dedicated to review issues. Having only 1 person now, I understand the ‘requirement’ for the reporter to upload a project. I wish they can go back to at least 2 internal testers.

I guess you guys settle for less.
When I pay someone, I expect them to provide some kind of service.

5 Likes

“Fair service”
We’ve seen progress, but there could be more visible progress.

1 Like

I just say that I understand, I do prefer them to have more people testing (and programming).

I agree with @Tim_Parnell if the value of the product is higher, then the customers will more often renew.
While i’m also sure the Xojo team is willing to provide the best service, it chould probably use more hands.

1 Like

What is the reward per bug report?

Tim I agree with you at least 299% :wink:

Let’s just say that I know very good programmers who would agree.
A very good friend and full-time developer (once briefly owned Xojo Pro) wrote to me yesterday "Xojo is obviously not really a programming language that should be used at all
 "

1 Like

I see it more as xojo has a little less ambition than the customers. Xojo can be a HUGE stake on the market, but never with the current state of many parts where it lackes or is hold behind. For example android took forever and ios is still lacking basic functionality. It just can’t he so hard to add features people need or are basic to the target platform.
In the current state it does the job for me, just not for everyone that ‘may’ step over to xojo.

To topic, xojo web has advanced a good margin. The issue remains that things take tooo long to ve done. So u guess Xojo just need more staff to step up the game.

2 Likes

Trying to do too much, perhaps? I tend to feel that iOS and Android should not have been attempted without a larger team - but that may just be my prejudice againt Mobile as a platform that makes any sense.

3 Likes

It’s key to move forward, but they must remain to do so.
I think they did well, but for exampe Json king (and jk leroy) may have moved it up even further by himself feature-wise. So the team should grow with more of the like-minded.

Same for android, the free and open source stuff could even be added to the framework so there is no stuff to import and there would be more basic features in xojo.

I’m saying that Xojo does a good job generally it’s just (really) slow and behind the speed a normal developer does it’s job. Since times keep changing.

2 Likes

if only they had listened to those who sugested the use of java instead of kotlin, including a mechanism to use thousands of java open source proyects and the option to write some java code directly mixed with xojo

I don’t know the under the hoods but i guess they made it so it fits xojo the best.

I make a pretty good living writing Xojo desktop apps, so no, it’s not “obvious” that it’s a language that shouldn’t be used.

11 Likes