Web email, number, phone, website and password fields

I’m plodding away building my Web App site with a database and a registration form including Web email, number, phone, website URL and password fields.

The first four appear to be virtually identical to text fields, their Super. They don’t appear to care what old junk is entered into them, certainly not whether they are valid emails, numbers of any kind, phone numbers or website addresses.

The only field that seems to do anything is the password field, which at least blanks out the characters entered in the field in case anybody is looking over the user’s shoulder. But I can’t find any way to stop this happening. Most websites, these days, allow users to turn this feature off so that they can check they are not making a mistake and are not paranoid about anyone looking over their shoulder in their own living room.

It doesn’t appear to check that only alphanumeric characters and a few well-known “special” characters are used. Thank God it doesn’t force people to use characters they would rather not use.

But what is the point of having all these fields that don’t do anything other than to make it look as though Xojo Web Apps have more features than they really do possess? It’s possible that there really will be some kind of check before the data is actually entered into a database, but it doesn’t look that way to me at the moment.

If you run your web application and you connect to it using your mobile device (phone for example), you will see different keyboard depending on the TextField you selected.

Email will show a complete keyboard with the @ in it (default keyboard usually does not show the @ in it)

Number will show only the numbers keyboard.

Phone will show the numbers keyboard but with the 3 letters above each number just as a phone does.

URL will show the keyboard and you will see a ‘/’ that normally is not shown for a regular TextField (same place as the ‘@’ for email address field).

If you test on your computer you will not see anything different.

Edit: the fields only use the definition that tells the browser how to behave (that’s why in a mobile device different keyboards show). The fields have no code for validation.