Web deployment on my own server is this possible?

Good morning,

I have my own server on Windows 2016 server. is it possible to deploy on it or do I have to use cloud services?

I have my own Windows 2016 Server and Centos 7 Server and deploy on both of them

1 Like

I make a tool called Lifeboat that simplifies the process of deploying your web apps to Linux servers. It can make hosting in the cloud a lot more approachable.

I too would recommend CentOS 7.

As far as Windows I couldn’t tell you anything more than what’s in the documentation: https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/application_deployment/web/deployment_overview.html#Windows

4 Likes

It said that with the r2 the only way is to use cloud server since cgi is depricated so I wonder if it’s possible to use my own server instead of xojo cloud. I just don’t want to pay 50$ a month for another server that I already own…

at windows you need to register your web app as service
https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/web/run_web_apps_in_the_background.html

1 Like

You can use your own server. Under the build settings options at the bottom of the left navigator, you’ll see Mac, Windows, Linux, Xojo Cloud. Deselect Xojo Cloud and select the platform you wish to build for.

2 Likes

Ok I see, thank you. If the r2 don’t use cgi, I wonder what technology it use.

Web 2.0 builds are standalone servers. The web server is bundled into the executable. When you start your app, you’re starting a web server.

Xojo engineers recommend that this web server runs internally and that you use reverse proxy software to offer more security and features.

Standalone builds are not going to work out of the box on a server where you’re used to just uploading the .cgi file and going to the address. You have to start the server software, and optionally maintain a few other aspects.

I can’t help you much with a Windows server, but I can certainly get you up and running on Linux. There’s a couple videos on the Lifeboat webpage that show just how easy it can be to get up and running using the app.

4 Likes

I 10/10/10 recommend Lifeboat. It was stupid easy compared to usual deployment. Still breathlessly awaiting the possibility of configuring an Index page setup to CentOS but what I see here with the new OS amazes me. I am ROOTING FOR YOU @Tim_Parnell!!

Does the new addition of Linux OS (brain fog prevents me fr remembering which flavor it is) require nginx too??

I bought a Raspberry Pi and loaded CentOS 7 on it. Will be configuring it soon.

Absolutely - you can host on DIY hosting all major OSs. Just have to make sure the server of your choice meets the specs as req’d for Xojo hosting, it’s in the online documentation.

I have encountered hosting problems, and am having to pare down what hosting services and shift all possible hosting over to DIY hosting. I do not EVER recommend GoDaddy - the ROI is not up to par compared to DIY hosting. I am moving all new clients over to my own hardware.

Well I guess after you read this you will not recommend it anymore , I just saw it in the news recently CentOS Changes

1 Like

I honestly use Debian for a while and haproxy and it works like a charm but most of the apps I have are internal and used for small range users, like 100 max , and it does the job.

1 Like

I used nothing but Debian for years. A few years ago I switched to Ubuntu LTS versions only and never looked back. Especially for Xojo I want to have stable versions. For beginners (on Linux) I recommend either Ubuntu or Debian for Xojo Web, basically as they will find far more How-Tos, FAQs, forums which are often excellent (you can can follow them step-by-step, w/o knowing much about Linux). Of course something like LifeBoat from @Tim_Parnell will make your life even easier.

But sooner or later you might need a tweak here and there, a special library, a cron job, not much but if you don’t know Linux very well you depend on good tutorials.

I am keeping an eye on the situation. CentOS 7 is still my preferred flavor. Whatever happens, Lifeboat will help us through the storm :wink:

4 Likes

Honestly, I don’t see anything wrong with that (yet), CentOS is small, secure, effective out-of-the-box. For a real beginner, there will be no big differences anyways between the different flavors of Linux for running Web Apps. You can easily screw up one or the other via updates. LTS doesn’t mean that you can’t break it :slight_smile: - But if someone is a beginner and wants to learn a bit and improve his server overtime, then he will most likely get easier more (understandable) information for Ubuntu or Debian.