Web 2.0 Domain Name Specification?

I have a number of critical Web 1.0 apps deployed to Xojo Cloud. The server has a domain name associated with it, call it “mydomain.com”. The apps are accessed via “mydomain.com/App1/” etc. I am beginning to experiment with Web 2.0, so wrote a simple app and wanted to deploy it to my Xojo Cloud server. But the app wouldn’t deploy without a domain name entered into the Xojo Cloud settings. So I entered “mydomain.com”. This was a disaster, because it made all my Web 1.0 apps in the domain unavailable. At first, I freaked out, but after deleting the new app, I could access the Web 1.0 apps again. Whew! So the question is, how can I post my Web 2.0 app to the Xojo Cloud server without disabling my Web 1.0 apps? What goes into this domain field and why? How do I access my new app? Sorry to ask such a basic question, but the documentation I have found so far is not helping. Thanks.

If you don’t need the Web 2.0 apps to have their own domain, you can give them a Domain Name that looks like:

tmoore.xojocloud.net
tmoore2.xojocloud.net

the name has to be unique (we check for that when you leave the Domain Name field). Once deployed, you can access them with that URL.

If you want to use your own domain or subdomain, I can post about that.

Thanks for replying, Jason. Yes, would you please post about how can continue to use my domain? Thanks so much!

Hi Tom! - Web 2.0 works a bit different than Web 1.0 did. Since you have multiple apps on your server, you’ll need a wildcard SSL certificate to get all of them using your domain securely. You can get one at the SSL cert. providers such as GoDaddy. Once you have that, please email me and we can get it installed for you.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Am I correct in assuming that the SSL certificate for the domain name should authorize domain names of the form “*.mydomain.com” and my apps would then be accessed by typing “https://myapp.mydomain.com”? Is this documented anywhere that I should know about?

That is correct.

Thanks very much. I will work on that.

There are several types of SSL certificates.

Make sure it’s the Wildcard type.

This GoDaddy documentation seemed well explained to me.

Step by step, it explains all the technical requirements. Putting aside the technicalities gives you an idea of the process that has to be done.

I hope it is useful.

Thanks very much, Jose, for this useful information. I appreciate it!